Author Topic: Borrowing Serverside Mission files  (Read 2441 times)

spartacus

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
Borrowing Serverside Mission files
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:42:28 am »
I'm trying to acquire serverside mission files (from Island Life to begin with, also have some other maps in mind) so that I can have full access to entire map scripts for editing and hosting.

MrMedic was very helpful, and told me to use a packet sniffer to scan traffic while joining the game. I did this using WireShark (he recommended WPE but I can't find a version that looks legit enough to use. hehe), and got a 3mb stream of data that appears to contain serverside mission data. My only problem now is, how do I decipher and break up this data into .sqf files with the correct filenames for use with the map? I know this is probably a ridiculously simple question and I look like an idiot for asking it. But I figured MrMedic had enough noobs like me bothering him so I'd pose this one to the community at large. Many thanks to anyone who can offer help/advice.

Once I accomplish this task, I plan to publicly release the serverside files for Zargabad Life, so that ordinary folks will find it easier to host their own servers. Because open source is the wave of the future, and I have no respect for the "intellectual property" of some liars who claim others' work as their own and can't even change the German words from the scripts they stole off Chernarus Life.

Fury

• Online Villain
  • i̺͇̯̟̗m̤̬p͈̠̖o̫̭̦̼ͅrt͈̝̞ antigravity
    • View Profile
Re: Borrowing Serverside Mission files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:21:32 am »
Medic stop being a tease and share the goods with this honest guy.

(I have them somewhere but forgot which of my bookshelf full of storage contraptions actually holds it.; probably somewhere hovering around on a flashdrive :p)

[edit:]

Once I accomplish this task, I plan to publicly release the serverside files for Zargabad Life....

You do realise that almost every server that has ZL running on it has to go to epic lengths to get a playerbase settled there right?
Servers in A2/OA are popular by natural selection, even if those serversided files are leaked (lol TCG security style) it isn't going to change a whole lot other than a few people sandboxing it for a while before the servers vanish due to lack of interest.

Just my two whole cents
Sent to you by a now non-smoking Fury.

If I do find those files however, I will upload them for you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:27:07 am by Fury »
My programming language is common sense and communication. ♥

Pride

• Klass Klown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:21 am »
and I have no respect for the "intellectual property" of some liars who claim others' work as their own and can't even change the German words from the scripts they stole off Chernarus Life.

What? Are people pissed about losing their Kontostad?

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:07:07 am »
Hmmm...
If you belive the bullshit in any EULA (which I don't because I know better) then BIS has stated that any user mission made with the companies software is free to anyone who wants to use it and may not be "owned" by those who constructed it.

Sucks to be some egomaniac with some sort of "It's mine and you can't use it!" complex. 

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

spartacus

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:21:41 am »
Medic stop being a tease and share the goods with this honest guy.

(I have them somewhere but forgot which of my bookshelf full of storage contraptions actually holds it.; probably somewhere hovering around on a flashdrive :p)
Medic helped me out a lot, but I'm always working overtime these days and I'm too lazy to figure out how to extract serverside client mission .sqf files from this mess of packet traffic. So I'm hoping that someone does have the files I'm looking for. If you had them that would be epic - I'll be really grateful, owe you a favor and when I finish my current project I'll give you a shoutout in the intro.

You do realise that almost every server that has ZL running on it has to go to epic lengths to get a playerbase settled there right?
I disagree. I've seen servers with 2500 ping, hosted on some dude's laptop, attract 20 players within a couple hours of going up (and then promptly crashing). Epic lengths are gone to but that's in order to fund servers that can reliably host 30+ players without crashing - and I respect the considerable price tag of a big public server. But I also believe that the established ZL servers thrive in spite of the idiocy and douchebaggery of their admins. They have banned hundreds, if not thousands, of good players, for stupid offenses, often just because some player killed an admin or escaped from an admin... and yet these servers continue to reach full capacity.

Servers in A2/OA are popular by natural selection, even if those serversided files are leaked (lol TCG security style) it isn't going to change a whole lot other than a few people sandboxing it for a while before the servers vanish due to lack of interest.
You're probably correct. But I actually do plan to host a real server, and more people might do the same were it easier to host a fully-functional ZL map. Also, I'm not personally planning to host another Zargabad Life server, the two big ones right now are enough for the player base. What I'm going to do is make something completely different, that totally changes the game and makes Island Life just look like CL with boats (which it basically is). I won't waste space discussing that here but PM me if you're interested.

What? Are people pissed about losing their Kontostad?
xD

Sucks to be some egomaniac with some sort of "It's mine and you can't use it!" complex. 
Exactly. The Tranny Cum Guzzlers Island Life disclaimer, claiming ownership for a 2-gigabyte heap of content that was nearly all taken without credit from others, just screams "Hack us! Punish us!"

s0beit

• Relentless Teamkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »
Well maybe i can help, I'm not BE banned from Island life, unsure about ZL lol (i forget)

In any case, maybe try posting some examples of packets and I'll see if i can't rig up something, the main problem with ARMA2 packets is that from what I've seen so far, they're heavily inconsistent. Makes it hard to construct real hard data from them. I'll give it a shot though.

deezinyamouf

• Insane Joker
  • Abedee-Abedee-Abedee-Abedee- A - FUCK YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »
Oh, you can go ahead and make your own server if you want.

But you DO know that some / most of the Admins from Island / Zarg Life (is that even up anymore) use scripts to defeat other servers running the same mission, right?

You know, log on, hack the shit outta you, repeat until you take your server down...

#cough
Some people say I'm crazy, and that PTSD has ruined my ability to interact, and properly communicate with others.

I tell those people to eat a dick.

;-)

Pride

• Klass Klown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:09:17 pm »
Or they'll take a page from our book and hard crash it with malformed packets.