Author Topic: bandwith moniter  (Read 892 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
bandwith moniter
« on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:01 pm »
I am getting scamed by the ISP.

I need a program that I can run that notes all my bandwith used for a month ASAP.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Re: bandwith moniter
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:09:58 am »
Well I have a free monitor installed already but I have a question...how many HOURS would it take to download 100GB at 1.5Mb ?

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Jurugi

• Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:44:24 am »
If you're talking 1.5MB/s then you just have to do some calculation stuff.
1000 MB = 1 GB,
1000mb * 100 = 100000 mb

100000 / 1.5 MB = 66666.6 repeating (Devil internet ::: 0 )

66666.6 / 60 / 60
               |     |
             mins  hours

and we get 18.5185 hours

or around 18 and a half hours for 100GB.

Coronel_Niel

• Insane Joker
  • Why can't I pick my own profile picture...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
1024 mb = gb :P
"Now we are going to watch my boys do it" - Joopig

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:41:02 am »
1.5Mb not MB is the speed and the cap is 100GB not Gb.

Anyhow this is the scam they are trying to pull:
We have no CAP but they "claim" we are using Business lvl internet and want us to pay for that,or agree to an "over limit charge" or disconnect us after 20 days.

I will monitor the bandwith and send copies of the emails from the ISP,my real usage,a formal complaint AND the bill payment to the Public Utilities Commission (doing this means the ISP can't lawfully disconnect for none payment).

Showy

• Relentless Teamkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:10:01 am »
I have Charter cable and I hear they are going to start enforcing caps this month.
I have three Netflix connected devices, watch youtube, grab videos and many other activities.
Guess I need to monitor my usage now.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:12 am »
Well they have to inform you of the limits befor they can charge you.
We have yet to get a letter/email about any caps nor does the ISP website say anything (I made copies of the site pages with dates).

Here is what I told one of my file clubs:
Well I have it sorted out.
Got a program that monitors/logs bandwith.
Saveing daily DSLreports.com speed tests.

Got an email from ISP that claims I use over 100GB per month (I have no bandwith cap) and they want me to PAY for an upgrade.
If I don't contact them in 20 days they say they will dissconect me.

After doing the math I would have to d/l 146 Xvid movies in a month.
The clearly are lieing and trying to pull a scam.

Keeping full records as noted above and will be sending those,the email from the ISP and the PAYMENT to the Public Utilities Commission and a copy to the State Attorney General with a complaint of a scam.
As long as the PUC gets the payment then the ISP can't shut me off for not paying.

I also talked to a few people in town and they say the service is crap (myself I get less than 2/3 of the speed I pay for)...DSLreports.com forum for this ISP all say the same accross the country.

I am thinking of getting everyone in the county to do a speed test and if they have the same results getting them to join in sending payment for the bill and a complaint to the PUC as well.

The ISP really screwed up when they attempted to put the squeeze on this old man.