Author Topic: Retail Extraction  (Read 19303 times)

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
Retail Extraction
« on: January 05, 2004, 07:07:02 pm »
All credits for this goes to tintin, who has been kind enough to write everything down:

This is for informational purposes only. It is up to the user to decide if it is moral/legal to use this information,I take no resposibility in any way how you use this information, or if you screw up your system trying to follow it.

Well everyone has tried to find a program that would extract the cbf files. There were a few programs that did most of the job, but did not extract the important config files. After much searching and even writing a program that could extract most the files, it dawned on me. Pterodon was nice enough to package a cbf extractor for us. It just needed a bit of tweaking to do what is wanted.

If you notice when Pterodon puts out its games, like its demo it packages them as an installer + a cbf file. If you pay attention the cbf file called disk01.cbf contains the game executable, the dlls, and at least one other cbf file. All the setup.exe does is extract files from disk01.cbf and adds some reg entries.

For example when we run setup on the retail it creates the retail dir extracts the game dlls from disk01.cbf, extracts the vietcong.exe and also another build###.cbf that contains all the game info. When you later patch the game it replaces some dlls and the exe and adds some more cbf files in the game dir.

What people have wanted to do is to extract cbf files OTHER than the disk0#.cbf. Through studying how setup.exe works you can adapt it to extract ANY cbf file.

{Downloadable setup.exe file available}
With a hex editor open the setup.cbf in the retail version. Keep searching for the work disk. EVentually you will see were it says disk....cbf

Right before this you will see 2 sets of %s%02d . What needs to be done is the first %s%02d needs to be replaced with nulls. That is replace each of those characters with hex 00. This will allow the setup program to extract every file from a cbf. The cbf has to still be renamed to disk01.cbf.

To extract any cbf, copy it to a blank drive in the root folder. copy your modified setup.exe and the original setup.cbf to the blank drive too. Now go to you windows temp dir and empty it of everything! This is important as the setup program will try and copy anything from the temp dir. One trick is to make a text file with some odd name and put it in the temp dir. This is because when you see the setup program copy this file, then you know it is time to kill the setup program.

Before you attempt this remember this will extract the files into the vietcong game directory. You may want to move your demo installation somewhere else. Also rename the reg keys. The install (setup.exe) program may ask you to uninstall the old install, let it do that all it does is remove anything in the vietcong default install folder (if you rename it, it does nothgin) and remove the regkey. Now with the newly moded setup.exe, setup.cbf and the build#.cbf file that was renamed to disk01.cbf that you moved to a empty drive start the install. Dont choose to install icons or gamespy! Just let the program run, it will list all the files being extracted, When you see it trying to copy that one file that you made and placed in the windows temp dir use the task manager to kill the setup exe. Do not press cancel as cancel will delete any extracted files.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

jazznas

• Old Guard
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 07:18:16 pm »
huh, although i extracted the demo and retail about a hounded times i dont understand the tutorial :?

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 08:07:22 pm »
then write a new one  :wink:

jazznas

• Old Guard
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 04:20:40 pm »
i did :wink:

Wizkid

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 04:23:21 pm »
Jazzie's not translating TinTin's to deutsch, he's making a new in deutsch  :P  (Talked to him yester day
shut the fuck up!

UnKnOwN

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 01:28:45 am »
does this extraction count for 1.41? does extraction work for 1.41?
TKC is the way to paradise......cheating will always be possible!

[TKC]thejoker

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 01:31:17 am »
wots the extraction for?im a n00b vc cheater :P

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 01:46:18 am »
Quote from: UnKnOwN
does this extraction count for 1.41? does extraction work for 1.41?

Of course it will even work for Fist Alpha  :wink:
The only general thing hradba does is to look for unextracted files and turn off the game when you start playing if non-extracted files are not found. Practically it would be easy to bypass manually with any debugger and a bit of experience. However if you want to do it automatically it's another thing. But you can still extract the files yes.

PS. You can even extract hradba.

Quote from: thejoker
wots the extraction for?im a n00b vc cheater

You can access any files, sound, gfx, configurations etc you can mod the game completely. That simply means that you can cheat as you want.

[TKC]thejoker

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 01:48:37 am »
sweeeeeet:D

Anonymous

Retail Extraction
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 10:16:08 am »
OK ive managed to extract the demo, i can access the ini folders and edit mp and weap.txt, but how do i play the game with the modded weapons, wont it just run the game like normal? because all i have done is extract from build***.cbf but the cbf file will not have changed only the extracted contents of it, ANYONE????

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Retail Extraction
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2004, 10:31:56 am »
Have you tryed to REDIRECT your shortcut to the extracted game?

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Anonymous

Retail Extraction
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 01:42:56 pm »
OK this is what i have done, I have extracted the game to c:\VC\Vietcong MP Demo . In there i have the ini folders etc etc Disk01.cbf, Setup.exe and Uninstall.exe . Now where would i redirect the shortcut to? Setup.exe ?

jazznas

• Old Guard
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 04:14:35 pm »
just copy all .dll and .exe files from a non-cracked version of the demo and copy&paste them into your extracted version

Anonymous

Retail Extraction
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 08:16:04 pm »
Hey, yeah i finally worked out how to run the modded game, but when i use the new weapons they have no sound except for reloading and bullets bouncing, is this normal?? Anyone have sound for the cheat weaps??

[TKC] ~<{LTC}>~

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Retail Extraction
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004, 08:18:08 pm »
the demo doesent has soundfiles for the cheat weapons, for example the radio doesent realy work cause there is no data and no sound :wink:
southpark:
global warming is going to strike two days before the day after tomorrow