Author Topic: free 300 dollars  (Read 796 times)

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
free 300 dollars
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:37:50 am »
geeksquad charges 300 dollars to do all this in your home or office.

1)Disable start-up programs
-On windows based operating systems its very simple for a program to include a registry key to automatically start up when windows launches, this can easily be reviewed and removed by logging into an administrator account and going to the run console (hold Windows key + R, or start->Run) and typing MSCONFIG. on the "startup" tab you can un-check everything and your computer will run fine, but if your used to your anti-virus automatically coming on or you use a wireless adapter then make sure any programs that use these are still selected, you may look at the manufacturer to be certain.

2)Run a virus scan
-There are many companies which offer different virus scanners and in my honest experience there isn't a best one as each has its own updates and threat checks. If your in a financial pinch no worries, i would recommend downloading the "kaspersky rescue disc 2008" as it is free and comprehensive (read the documentation of how to use a "live" boot cd, or post questions here) this is a virus scanner that scans files when windows isn't running and that makes it an efficient tool for removing viruses that load on windows start, or have corrupted windows files.

Keep your computer secure with regular updates and scans with AVG's "AVG virus scanner" and webroots "spybot search and destroy", both of these are free for home users and require nothing but a download. Make sure you download from a respected source such as webroots website or download.com. there are free versions available for AVG on their site, they just made them hard to find so you purchase.

more advanced users can use consolethis and clean stuff out too, if your unsure post the logs on a "trend micro friendly" forum.

I just copy and pasted some of this from another posting i had somewhere else a while back.

Though this isn't guaranteed to remove everything, i would be pretty confident using online banking after following these steps.

to be fair their service is more comprehensive than just this, if your still unsure employ your neighborhood tech kid for 45 bucks.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.