Author Topic: AMD 12 core contest  (Read 1336 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
AMD 12 core contest
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
The AMD Server team is kicking March off with a new contest.  We are seeking your best essays, videos, or blog posts documenting how you might use 48 cores.  One winner will be selected and awarded with:

Four new AMD Opteron? processors Model 6174, 12-core (2.2 GHz)
TYAN S8812 motherboard: the motherboard is a Tyan S8812 that features 4 processor sockets with the capacity for you to install up to 8 DIMMs per socket
one copy of Windows Server? 2008
Approximate retail value of all prizes is $8,189 USD.

For those of you living under a rock ? or working away in the depths of the data center ? the AMD Opteron 6100 series processors are 8- and 12-core processors that feature an incredible four channels of DDR-3 memory.  That?s 33% more channels than expected competing Intel products* and more than double the memory throughput of our existing products.** These are the first 8- and 12-core x86 processors in the market and you could be one of the first to have such a historic product in your hands.

Full story:
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/03/03/48-cores-contest/

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
Re: AMD 12 core contest
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:10 am »
The AMD Server team is kicking March off with a new contest.  We are seeking your best essays, videos, or blog posts documenting how you might use 48 cores.  One winner will be selected and awarded with:

Four new AMD Opteron? processors Model 6174, 12-core (2.2 GHz)
TYAN S8812 motherboard: the motherboard is a Tyan S8812 that features 4 processor sockets with the capacity for you to install up to 8 DIMMs per socket
one copy of Windows Server? 2008
Approximate retail value of all prizes is $8,189 USD.

For those of you living under a rock ? or working away in the depths of the data center ? the AMD Opteron 6100 series processors are 8- and 12-core processors that feature an incredible four channels of DDR-3 memory.  That?s 33% more channels than expected competing Intel products* and more than double the memory throughput of our existing products.** These are the first 8- and 12-core x86 processors in the market and you could be one of the first to have such a historic product in your hands.

Full story:
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/03/03/48-cores-contest/

i submitted my essay with reasons as following
- i would stop world hunger and love AMD with a sexy passion.

i have no legit reason to own the prize other than the fact its cool, so hopefully my creative writing style will persuade them.

I could submit another entry and say im going to use the computers to start up a server that will..... stop world hunger.

all my eggs in one basket? what are you talking about.

-Sym
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:51 am »
I just want to see a good game that will use all those cores and ram.  :wink2

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »
Too bad it's for US residents only :P
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »
Too bad it's for US residents only :P

Tell them you live at my house.

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09:34 am »
Yea I guess it's good to have options, but I'm not sure if I'm up to writing that essay. I will think about it.

There's a possibility that I move to the US temporarily (for a little more than a year at most) next year. But that depends on how the global economy will look like by then. We could have a TKC meet-up in Calif.  :icon_thumbsup
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.