Author Topic: Game/torrent over SOCKS 5  (Read 27132 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Game/torrent over SOCKS 5
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:33:34 am »
I used to have a tool in TKC's download section that would grab and test SOCKS 5 proxy servers and let you find some fast enough to play online games without risking getting your true IP banned.
I ran across this artical on a torrent site and even tho it uses more than just my one tool ( which I have misplaced) it still works.
In this guide i will show you how to use public trackers safer using SOCKS proxy servers.

Programs used:

(current version): http://www.sabsoft.com/MyIPSuite/

1. What is a SOCKS server?

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS

Basically it's a type of proxy server that can route any TCP/UDP protocol requests, also it's more secure then the usual HTTP proxy servers. There are 2 types of SOCKS servers, SOCKS4 and SOCKS 5, the main difference is that protocol version 4 supports only TCP, where version 5 supports both TCP and UDP and adds more options for authentication.

Because SOCKS servers can route any TCP/UDP protocol you can route any application traffic through a SOCKS server.  There are a lot of programs that let you do this, for example SocksCap.

So we will simply route the requests of the torrent application through the SOCKS server to hide our IP.

2. Getting SOCKS.

First, we need to find lists with SOCKS servers from which we will choose a suitable one for our needs. Simply google for forums that provide SOCKS lists on a daily basis. Don't use public listing sites because the SOCKS will be either slow or unreliable.

The SOCKS will be in a IP : Port format, get a good amount of them and save them in a simple .txt file with one SOCKS server per line, it should look like this:

3. Sorting out the list.

After we got a list with SOCKS servers we will sort them out by removing the duplicate entries and finding
additional info about the IPs, like Country, domain name, latency, so we can choose one with low latency and near us hoping that it will perform good.

3.1. Removing duplicates.

Use IP-Country with  the "Unformatted file" option and then click "Kill dupes" (alternatively if IP-Country gives you an error, export all the IPs to Excel and then remove the duplicates using Excel, see here:
http://www.mrexcel.com/tip138.shtml, but use the "Filter the list, in-place" option), export to Excel , sort by IP  number (ascending) and then copy the sorted IPs and save them in a txt file.

3.2. Finding out countries.

You can use either IP-Country's internal Database which is slightly outdated (latest update is in 2008) but it still has like 95%+ success rate or use "IP Locator" for best results (98%+), though "IP Locator" sorts the IP  differently (removes IPs with different port and IPs that start with 0) then "IP-Filter" and you may get 2 lists  with different lengths, though this is fixable. The other advantage of using "IP Locator" is that you will also get the DNS of the hosts, which is useful to quickly identify them.

"IP Locator" requires an internet connection and queries the DNS server you are using, for best and fastest results use the OpenDNS DNS servers. Simply input the sorted IP list and hit start. If you start to receive a lot of "Cannot  resolve host name" messages then you have a DNS query ban from your server, either change your DNS servers or wait  a bit and then try again. After it finishes export the results to Excel and copy the Country Column in the Excel  table that you generated with IP-Country, first copy the data in a separate column to verify length, if the length  is different use "Paste Special" and start removing rows until the length passes. After that replace the original   IP-Filter's country data and if you want add the data for State or Host. If you will use "IP Locator" make sure to  save the updated length-corrected IP list for later to find out the pings.

3.3. Finding out pings.

Now we will find out the pings of the hosts, of course if a host doesnt reply it doesnt mean that it wont work.
Launch My IP Suite//IP Sniffer and input the txt file with the sorted IPs, use 1 ping per IP, after it finishes
export all the results in a htm page. Open the page with Excel and copy the column with the ms values in the Excel table that you have created with IP-Country.

Alternatively, you can execute a batch ping with this command:

:: pingIP.bat
@echo off

for /f "tokens=*" %%I in (Path to Sorted Socks.txt) do call :pinger %%I
goto :eof

:pinger

echo %TIME% >> pings.txt
ping  -n 1 %1 >> pings.txt
:: DONE

Copy the above text and save it as a .bat file. Then execute it. It will ping each IP once.

4. Setting up your torrent client to use a SOCKS proxy

After you got all your data in Excel your table should look like this:

You can sort it by whatever criteria you want.

Now you should pick up a proxy server that you thing it will suite you best and input it in your torrent client (or  route your torrent application traffic through it , if it doesnt support SOCKS5). It is advisable that you use a  different client then the one you use on private torrent sites.

To use SOCKS5 server in Utorrent, go to Options -> Preferences -> Connection, select SOCKS5 for type, mark "Use  proxy server for peer-to-peer connections" and input the server's IP and port.

And the end result:

Also some other free ways are:
  • Using the ItsHidden VPN Service Beta. This VPN services is in Beta phase and it's free to test out: http://itshidden.com/
  • If you own a dedicated server you can setup a SOCKS server on it and use it. Be aware that by doing so you can  lose your server, because many providers will cancel your contract if you they receive a DMCA notice or some even  scan for IPs from their IP ranges on public trackers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:40:24 am by ZOldDude »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

mesengr

• Relentless Teamkiller
    • View Profile
Re: Game/torrent over SOCKS 5
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:59:11 pm »
A+ post! Thanks for this article.

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:08 am »
That's some good quality post  :icon_thumbsup

+1
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:30:55 am »
It can be used to play online games as well.
Oh...I pointed that out in the thread title.   :icon_thumbsup

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

hoax-ravenheckler

• Master Heckler
  • Still the same old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:28:29 am »
Thanks!
You just made it as my first bookmark!
There's never time to do things right, but there's always time to do it over.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 04:23:24 am »
I just noticed 2 forum guests printing out this topic and thought I should bump it for those who have not read it and might be IP banned in a game.  :wink2

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:50:27 pm »
I just noticed 2 forum guests printing out this topic and thought I should bump it for those who have not read it and might be IP banned in a game.  :wink2
yup yup, good quality of explanation. If you view any string in this post it shows up first on google.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

Pride

• Klass Klown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:36 am »
You can even get programs without socks support working with a socks proxy with a few programs which hook winsock. Eg. Widecap, Freecap, Proxycap. (The 1st two are free, but the third is a pretty good suite.)

karmalover

• I canz carpet bomb joo?
  • Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:07 am »
nice post  :icon_thumbsup

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:35 am »
nice post  :icon_thumbsup
Who has been Karma vote'n you down...your @ -21 right now!
Let me bump you up a +1.

karmalover

• Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:34 pm »
Hey Z,

Will this help me,to avoid IP bans

i will try this this weekend ,just need to know

PS:i dont know who is playing with my Karma,it starts annoying me

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:15:01 pm »
Hey Z,

i will try this this weekend ,just need to know

100%
Some rabid BI brown nosers the same as who is down-karma many others who openly are active,
Look at it as a BADGE OF HONOR as all the "haters" can do is vote you down.
TKC wins...haters fail.

Z
Any other questions?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:21:55 pm by ZOldDude »

karmalover

• Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:09 pm »
Lol

thanks,i think i don't have more questions

:icon_thumbsup

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 08:45:08 pm »
I just noticed 3 GUESTS reading this...which is still good info.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 12:15:02 am »
Noticed allot of people reading my old post this year.
Anything in this range (91.246.**.**) is socks 5 with a basic zero delay and exit mode of many countries (valid as of today).

Others in my list have more delay.

Have fun!  :icon_devil