Author Topic: Z drive 712MB/sec  (Read 2965 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Z drive 712MB/sec
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:23 am »

OCZ was demonstrating its new Z Drive with 1 TB of storage at CeBIT 2009 this week. The new drive is a storage device that connects to an x8 PCIe slot and offers 1 terabyte of storage capacity. The Z Drive is about the same size a dual-slot graphics card, so its not exactly small, but the device is stated to offer maximum read and write speeds of up to 600 MB/sec. and 500 MB/sec., respectively. According to the demo OCZ had on display at CeBIT though, the Z Drive was actually showing minimum and maximum read speeds of 654 MB/sec. and 712 MB/sec., respectively. Incredible.
More info,spec's and photograps:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/OCZ-Z-Drive-RAID,7181.html

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
Re: Z drive 712MB/sec
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:34:39 pm »
Those will probably replace our current HDs in a few years.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
    • Teamkill and cheat community
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02:13 am »
Im so curious how commercial computer hardware will be in 10 years. I think this will be the staying for some time, but too bad its PCIe.
Btw.. who is using any PCI slot here? Nowdays no one needs them anymore. This could change it if it would be for PCI, but its prolly to slow and stuff to handle the card.

oh well..  :icon_o_o

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:34 am »
I only use one slot in my computers and that is for the GFX card.

On-board sound these days is so good that there is no real need for a sound card as long as your speaker system has an amp.

I also only install one HD as the size (and speed) of them today negates the risk of RAID 0 and any backup/storage drive sits in the shipping box's until I need them...at which point I connect my universal adaptor to transfer info and then back into the box they go.
Never a need to "install" them into the case.

With the AMD and Seagate demo of SATA-3 the bandwith of new HD's will be even faster.
USB-3 will also be welcome.

At the same time flash memory will also be going up both in speed and capacity as time goes by.

The flash drive by Z will also come in a 2 TB size...and if the price was the same as a regular HD I would buy one for sure and use it as my "C" drive...because I hate my GF's 4 year old computer taking what to me seems forever to load up anything at all!
At least mine was the fastest thing you could build without RAID 0 about a year ago.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:01:45 pm »
Would be pretty fcking portable indeed if u would have an OS on it. But i doubt a bios will be able to boot from it? Or will it just reconise it as a sata connection?

[TKC]Zero

• Cheater Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »
In 3years we will say.

Why doesnt my harddrive go faster then that :D
Still Living -- Still Owning

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:04 pm »
what you all seem to be missing is that there could be serious problems with this tech as far as both pci and pcie are well known to be problematic concerning bottle necking of data flow , i dont think this type of hd will flower in the future as the japanese are researching into cube technology , they have been for years now and i expect when it is perfected hd's will infact be no larger than a few centimeters or even smaller and be able to transfere data at todays rates would be ludicrously fast, i believe in all honesty that the future of pc's will be to miniturise them to the point that they will be an ear piece and a pair of spectacles ... allready as i type there is a 'new' tech out that plugs into any pc and renders real 3d onto the screen i beleive its an nvidia product but dont quote me, and the 'new' modified specticles that are newer versions of the old red green ones , the pc one day will infact be built into the frame in all probability and the box will be obsolete.

ofcourse these observations are based on what i know of the tech situation and the way its going , things may change but i think it will happen.

you buy a top of the range pc now .. today .. and next month it will be out of date compared to the newer model..
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:25:47 pm by MrMedic »
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:04 pm »
@ Oynky ...
The bios sees it as a hardware RAID controller so yes it can be a boot drive.

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:33:42 pm »
Transfer rates per lane (1x pcie):

1.x 2.5 GT/s 250 MB/s
2.0 5 GT/s 500 MB/s
3.0 8 GT/s 1 GB/s

__

That's 212 under supported speed. And there are no PCIe 3.0 slots yet :p
Still not a bad speed tho.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »
Z Drive Update.

This amazing drive will come in capacities of 256 GB, 512 GB and 1 TB. The bigger the drive, the faster the performance, with the 1 TB drive capable of a read speed of 878 MB/sec. and a write of 781 MB/sec.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ocz-z-drive-ssd-pci-express-pcie,8589.html

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:02:28 pm »
Nice, but I'm not sure if they have an equally good lifespan as normal HDs. Seems like you only can write to the same regions for a limited amount of times. (I think it was 10 000).
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 01:01:43 am »
Z Drive Update...February 2010

In less than a year the speed has gone from 712 MB/sec to 878 MB/sec to 1,300 MB/sec.
This thing reads data at 1.3 GB/sec!
Also note that it is now able to power it via the MB's PCI-E slot alone.
Recently, OCZ company demonstrated the solid-state disk with redundancy. In this case, we deal with Z -Drive p88, shown on CES exhibition...

OCZ has just showcased Z-Drive p88 which is coming available in 512GB, 1TB and 2TB capacities and offers very impressive performance.
The MLC NAND memory based drive features PCIe x8 slots and four Indilinx controllers, delivering a massive read/write speed of 1300MB/1200MB per second.
The fellows at BSN site believe that the most important feature is the added redundancy ? if something goes off, it is easily to detect a dead NAND Flash chip and upgrade it without a hassle or more importantly ? downtime for an investment such as SSD storage.

This opens a number of new possibilities, including the possibility of SSD modernization by the replacement of modules, for example, by more capacious. Energy consumption is reduced, since are used the possibilities of PCI express x8 slot and standard voltage regulators. Reliability due to the redundancy is increased. In case of failure the malfunctioned module easily is determined and substituted from operations directly during the work of the device.

Z -Drive p88 use four controllers indilinx, which bring the reading/writing rates to the values of 1300 and 1200 MB/s respectively. Company will propose three versions : 512 GB, 1 TB and 2 TB.
http://hardwarespecs.blogspot.com/2010/01/ocz-z-drive-p88.html
Video from CCS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcxmMtqeno

EDIT:
OCZ is planning a few different PCIe x8 based SSD's, one of which is capable speeds of up to 1400MB/s read and 1500MB/s write! Dubbed the Z-Drive s88, it will be available at 512GB and 1TB.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1183/2/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:21:29 am by ZOldDude »

Coronel_Niel

• Insane Joker
  • Why can't I pick my own profile picture...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »
Not bad, but it wont be cheap xD
"Now we are going to watch my boys do it" - Joopig

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »
Update February 16,2012 !

Revision 4 of the Z drive now does 6,000 MB per second read/write speed and 1,400,000 IOPS....and 16TB of storage.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:13:43 pm by ZOldDude »

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin