Author Topic: No luck  (Read 1382 times)

GUYSMILEY

• Poptart
    • View Profile
No luck
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:27:37 am »
This was supposed to post as a reply in this thread:
http://tkc-community.net/forum/index.php?topic=7049.0

I am not sure why it was created as a new post.

I tried adding these scripts to my .pbo and now none of the scripts show up on my command menu in-game.

- I unpacked the SCP .pbo
- I created the .sqs files and put the code listed inside them
- I updated my chinit.sqf file (added the scripts I wanted and removed the ones I didn't need)
- I packed the updated SCP .pbo, started ArmA, ran the init.sqf script, and nothing.

Here is what my chinit.sqf file looks like (I replaced the actual .pbo name with SCP)

Code: [Select]
player addAction ["Select","SCP\scripts\select_object.sqs"];
player addAction ["100% Interest","SCP\scripts\interest.sqs"];
player addAction ["Pocket Change","SCP\scripts\magicPockets.sqs"];
player addAction ["UnLock Vehicle","SCP\scripts\unlock_vehicle.sqs"];
player addAction ["Lock Vehicle","SCP\scripts\lock_vehicle.sqs"];
player addAction ["Stealth Mode","SCP\scripts\stealth.sqs"];
player addAction ["Teleport","SCP\scripts\teleport.sqs"];
player addAction ["Info","SCP\scripts\info.sqs"];
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:26:53 am by GUYSMILEY »

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
Re: No luck
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:25 am »
Make sure you only run one copy of the SCP at a time (no multiple pbos or folders etc). I don't think you have to re-pack the SCP for it to work.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

IllAssembly

• Klass Klown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:43:44 am »
sry for consoleing this but my question is so minor its not worth its own topic, how do u reload an empty humv 50 after its empty?

GUYSMILEY

• Poptart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:12:04 am »
sry for consoleing this but my question is so minor its not worth its own topic, how do u reload an empty humv 50 after its empty?

Are you looking for a script or the default process in-game?

Make sure you only run one copy of the SCP at a time (no multiple pbos or folders etc). I don't think you have to re-pack the SCP for it to work.

I only have one version of the SCP .pbo in the ArmA addons folder. How do I add/edit scripts without packing the .pbo again? Wouldn't they need to be in the .pbo in order to work correctly?

Anyway, I am having trouble getting SCP to work in SL. Nothing in my chinit.sqf is showing in the action menu, and it doesn't seem like anything works when I type it into the SCP script command prompt. I've also noticed that the exit button in the SCP command prompt doesn't work. Is my copy faulty? I know that it is more than likely just my lack of experience. Thought it would be best to stress that.  :wink2

I've searched the forums, browsed the SCP threads (pressed the print button in the threads and searched for keywords), and I know I must be overlooking something, because I see the pro's constantly stressing the answers are out there and we need to search for them. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing. I've searched for:

- SCP
- SL
- Sahrani Life
- Scripts
- Tutorial
- Walkthrough

...and combinations of the above where applicable.

I have done some basic server-side modding in BF1942, but am new to scripts. I am trying to get SCP to work, and I am ultimately trying to get SCP to work in Sahrani Life with the additional scripts Easy_Tiger made specifically for SL. Again, I know that SCP works, so I am doing something (or many things)wrong...

UPDATE 1: Ok, I reinstalled the SCP and it works before I screw with it. I've just noticed that when I make the changes and re-pack the .pbo, the file size is about half what it used to be. This is when the exit button doesn't work in the SCP command prompt, and when the chinit.sqf doesn't display the scripts in the action menu.

I have been using Total Commander with the .pbo plugin. I have compared the directories, file sizes and structure and everything appears to be the same, so I don't know why there is a file size difference. Maybe Total Commander is compressing something that it shouldn't? Should I be using another .pbo extractor/packer?

UPDATE 2: Learning has occurred! After trying several .pbo  programs, I figured out what was causing all of the problems. Apparently I'm not supposed to unpack the ENTIRE .pbo if I am only going to add/edit a couple of files! I was unpacking everything, working on one or two files, then packing it all up again. Although I don't understand why that causes problems, it does. So, after thinking about what Mullah Omar said, I used Total Commander to view the .pbo, edit the chinit.sqf file, and add the .sqs files Easy_Tiger made. After that, the scripts were right where they were supposed to be, and the exit button in the SCP command prompt worked like it should.

Unfortunately it wasn't all roses, though. The scripts I added didn't work. I literally input the code exactly as Easy_Tiger presented it into new .sqs files, and added the paths to chinit.sqf. The script options showed up in the action menu, but they didn't do anything. Is there a script format that I was supposed to put the specific code into, like some info that goes before and after the specific code, and is present in every script as their basic setup?

I perused several of the .sqs files contained within the .pbo and they are all different, and some of them are very involved, so I couldn't narrow down exactly what I am missing that way. I also looked at the BIS Wiki information about SQS Syntax, but I didn't notice any specific mention to required code that goes before or after the specific function...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:14:18 am by GUYSMILEY »

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 01:05:28 pm »
I've also noticed that the exit button in the SCP command prompt doesn't work.

I don't ever recall an "exit button" during the time I tested before SCP's public release.

I am sorry that I can't help or even play this game as I have UNINSTALLED it as of July 2007!
I did so because I was off on a 5 month long fishing trip and when I returned I just could not abide with all of BI's -bullshit- and -error filled- beta patch's.

If anything at all is KILLING this game it is BI and it's publicly open beta testing program and patch's.
WTF is their problem....are they on crack or what?
No software company that -ever- wanted sales of it's programs -ever- pulled a brain dead stunt like BI is doing.

I love the idea of ArmA2 and how the AI are to act more human and the game to not even BOOT on a single core CPU...but if their open-to-public beta testing is any indication of things to come they may expect ZERO SALES!

ArmA as wonderful as I think the game is (was) only sold 300K copies.
Best advice to BI...keep your buggy/faulty/crappy beta testing OUT of the public's view if you want sales no matter how good the core game is!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:32:58 pm by ZOldDude »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Easy_tiger

• Klass Klown
  • ArmA Anti-Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:48:49 pm »
with regard to the Sahrani Life script snippets i posted, these will only work with v1.02/v X of Sahrani life. From what i have been reading ALOT of changes have taken place so chances are the variables i referenced have been renamed. The best thing to to is unpack the latest SL map and read through the code to find the variables to tap  :icon_thumbsup

Also use CPBO to pack/unpack the scp, I use this method to add scripts to mine with no problems

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:45:29 pm »
Code: (cpp) [Select]
player addAction ["100% Interest","SCP\scripts\interest.sqs"];
It might not like the % character there.

I usually have a pbo in addons, and a corresponding unpacked folder in the ArmA folder. Then when I want to make any changes I just change the scripts in the unpacked folder. That way I don't have to restart every time I make changes to the pbo. However, you might have to re-pack it when you've close down the game, but I'm not sure about that.

Using total commander might be bad, I would suggest "PBOTool".

Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.