Author Topic: Books  (Read 1397 times)

mesengr

• Relentless Teamkiller
    • View Profile
Books
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:26:41 pm »
Does anyone know of any books to recommend that could help out game hackers?

It could be on C programming, Windows architecture, D3D, Graphics, Reverse engineering, ASM, Networking, etc.

I really hope people contribute to this, especially the more advanced hackers.

I'll start with a couple that's helped me out so far:

Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers
by Kip Irvine
ISBN: 0132383101
Probably the best resource to learn assembly language, for beginners and experts alike.

Hacker Disassembling Uncovered
by Kris Kaspersky
ISBN: 1931769648
This book was recommended by Subsky last year. I have only read half of it so far, and it's already proven to be a great book on reverse coding. If you're trying to make sense of disassembled game code, this book will juice up your thinking process. Subsky credits this book for enabling him to create the Hradba Bypass... that's saying a lot!

mesengr

• Relentless Teamkiller
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »
This thread lists a lot of resources as well:
http://tkc-community.net/forum/index.php?topic=5745.0

Subsky

• Insane Joker
  • Subskii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:43:09 pm »
Hey mate, it really is great to see you back here- I've come a long way since we spoke last time and have a few pretty awesome things for you :icon_thumbsup.

Mind sending us your MSN addy in a PM?

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach
by Frank D. Luna
The only decent book out there that covers Direct3D well (essential knowledge if you're want to hack it!).

Sometimes, you need to learn a certain underlying API of a game you wish to hack.  For example; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. uses the PhysX library- & knowledge of the library allows you to modify the existing physics; same can be said about games using networking libraries.

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »
well i read one book millions of years ago , it was a book on the commodore c64 , then i decided to go to college meanwhile self taught, passed everything they threw at me , then i went on to university where i gained my masters degree in computer science , then i went onto teach for a while , then i decided to actually start work in computer programming for games, found it very easy and the bosses thought i was good so i decided to go for a management job , and now i am head manager of 392 people , all good team workers so i usually sit and review source code or sit sharpening a pencil in my motor driven pencil sharpener or just go home , i decide my own hours , i guess i have made it , if you are interested the book was called

inside the commodore 64 .. yes i know its old but so am i ..

the best way is to sit and work things out without help in my opinion , but there was a book concerned , and that book did start me off so .. good luck

added this link http://larc.csci.unt.edu/books.html some good books here :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:57:19 pm by MrMedic »
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:37:30 pm »
I got that Luna book too, but an older version of it (it seems). It covers a lot and has good structure, but one has to remember it's an introductory book. Should be ok for hacking purposes though.

I don't think you need any books on assembly. There's a lot of information on the net, so if you know your C++ the ASM required should be no prob to learn. The c++ in 21 days books could be a good start generally. However, they might be a bit too general. Programming is a bit like maths, you have to do it ie not read it.

If you don't know what to do with your money I would recommend Code Complete too.

PS. You seem to have a nice job Medic. Do the guys in your "team" know you're a game hacker as well? ;)
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

Subsky

• Insane Joker
  • Subskii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:24:47 pm »
I got that Luna book too, but an older version of it (it seems). It covers a lot and has good structure, but one has to remember it's an introductory book. Should be ok for hacking purposes though.

I have the older version as well as the newer version.  Although written by the same author- the older version, to this date- is approximately $30.00 more expensive and contains a lot of obscelete Fixed Function Pipeline (FFP) stuff!  I wouldn't recommend the original version to anyone- it's not very well written; but Luna has really taken all feedback on-board and turned a not so good book into the best D3D one out there IMO.

Quote from: MrMedic
well i read one book millions of years ago... now i am head manager of 392 people.

So modest Medic, lol.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:29:02 pm »
well i read one book millions of years ago , it was a book on the commodore c64
The one I read was Programing with Atari Basic.
A workforce without proper management is nothing but a unproductive mob.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

MrMedic

• MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »

PS. You seem to have a nice job Medic. Do the guys in your "team" know you're a game hacker as well? ;)

never discussed it with them , if they had a problem with it i would show them the door

as for modesty in subskys posts i find modesty is one of my most endearing qualities  :icon_laugh

and z i think your refering to the luddites maybe?

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 06:52:57 am »

never discussed it with them , if they had a problem with it i would show them the door

as for modesty in subskys posts i find modesty is one of my most endearing qualities  :icon_laugh

and z i think your refering to the luddites maybe?
I was talking about the value of proper management.
Thought I made it up as I typed.

I am not sure why it made you think of the followers of Ludd...but I like the mindset!
"Come cropper lads of high renown
Who love to drink good ale thats brown
And strike each haughty tyrant down
With Hatchet, pike and gun!"

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

MrMedic

• MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:57:36 pm »
well the basis of thought was the unproductive state of mind of the ludd's ( they smashed machines which sequencially endevord to smash progress ) and as head of machine programmers , i thought of machine smashers which in turn lead me to think about the luddites which were a group of leaderless thugs. i suppose the chain of thinking could be releated to the dammage i do to games when i make a 'symapthetic to my needs programme' ( majority would call those programmes .. cheats )

so that is basically what lead me to mention the ludd's in a roundabout kind of theoretical mindset.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:06:46 pm by MrMedic »

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 10:52:33 pm »
Well some of the anti-cheats would like Laws from the day of the followers of Ludd..."If you break it you will be put to DEATH."
Still can't see why my comment on the value of good managment made you think of them.

The GF will be here in under 3 weeks then I am off to move the first half of my house.