• The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
BigDog
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:52:36 pm »
Check out this creepy looking piece of technology  :icon_o_o
It moves almost as if it's a sentient being.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=164333&ESRC=marine.nl

The Illusive Man

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Re: BigDog
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »
I want one to carry my ruck! :icon_thumbsup

Kinda creepy how well it compensates for being pushed or being on slick surfaces though. . .  :icon_o_o
Innocence proves nothing

Easy_tiger

• Klass Klown
  • ArmA Anti-Christ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:56:02 pm »
freaky but an amazing bit of engineering

The footage of it recovering from being kicked is amazing

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:22:41 pm »
scary , fkn terminater is just around the corner. you see it slip on that ice , a normal adnimal would probably have fallen , the cybo thing didnt .. more human than human will probably be their motto.
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:07:46 pm »
The stated payload is lower than the latest version.
Newest specs...
Payload: 400 US Lbs
Range: 200 US miles
Speed: 3.2 MPH

Let it carry the ammo,fule,food....or use it to carry a wounded man out.
Not to loud but it could use a better muffler when it goes into service.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:26:24 am »
Seeing as how it's an (early?) prototype, and it's already doing that well, I'd expect it to be faster and quieter by the time it's put into service. I'd love to have one has a pet when i'm in country.  :icon_thumbsup
Innocence proves nothing

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 05:37:46 am »
If I ever saw that thing while out on the field I'd have to give it a good kicking just to test it.
If it still stands then we'll have to see if that Skywalker tow rope thing works
 :icon_devil

The Illusive Man

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:30:35 am »
Seeing as how it's an (early?) prototype, and it's already doing that well, I'd expect it to be faster and quieter by the time it's put into service. I'd love to have one has a pet when i'm in country.  :icon_thumbsup
It's function is to carry the load that a squad would making it easier on the men. It's not meant to -run- or out pace them but it -can- be given some GPS waypoints and resupply the squad or carry a wounded man out on it's own.

Could use it near home to pack the deer/elk back to camp!

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:08:40 am »

The Most Advanced Quadruped Robot on Earth
BigDog is the alpha male of the Boston Dynamics family of robots. It is a quadruped robot that walks, runs, and climbs on rough terrain and carries heavy loads. BigDog is powered by a gasoline engine that drives a hydraulic actuation system. BigDog's legs are articulated like an animal?s, and have compliant elements that absorb shock and recycle energy from one step to the next. BigDog is the size of a large dog or small mule, measuring 1 meter long, 0.7 meters tall and 75 kg weight.

BigDog has an on-board computer that controls locomotion, servos the legs and handles a wide variety of sensors. BigDog?s control system manages the dynamics of its behavior to keep it balanced, steer, navigate, and regulate energetics as conditions vary. Sensors for locomotion include joint position, joint force, ground contact, ground load, a laser gyroscope, and a stereo vision system. Other sensors focus on the internal state of BigDog, monitoring the hydraulic pressure, oil temperature, engine temperature, rpm, battery charge and others.

In separate trials, BigDog runs at 4 mph, climbs slopes up to 35 degrees, walks across rubble, and carries a 340 lb load.

BigDog is being developed by Boston Dynamics with the goal of creating robots that have rough-terrain mobility that can take them anywhere on Earth that people and animals can go.  The program is funded by the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA).

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:23:13 am »
RiSE: The Amazing Climbing Robot
RiSE is a small six-legged robot that climbs vertical terrain such as walls, trees and fences. RiSE?s feet have claws, micro-claws or sticky material, depending on the climbing surface. RiSE changes posture to conform to the curvature of the climbing surface and a fixed tail helps RiSE balance on steep ascents. RiSE is about 0.25 m long, weighs 2 kg, and travels 0.3 m/s.

Each of RiSE?s six legs is powered by two electric motors. An onboard computer controls leg motion, manages communications, and services a variety of sensors. The sensors include an inertial measurement unit, joint position sensors for each leg, leg strain sensors and foot contact sensors.

Future versions of RiSE will use dry adhesion to climb sheer vertical surfaces such as glass and metal. Boston Dynamics is developing RiSE in conjunction with researchers at University of Pennsylvania, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley, Stanford, and Lewis and Clark University. RiSE is funded by the DARPA Defense Sciences Office.

Watch this thing climb up the side of a office...and even climb a tree!
http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=RiSE

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:27:11 am »

Sony Corporation turned to Boston Dynamics for help developing its line of entertainment robots. We adapted our physics-based human simulation to work for Sony?s humanoid robot, QRIO. The result is a physics-based robot simulator used to develop mechanical designs, control systems, and motion planning. Using the simulator, Sony?s engineers test ideas for robot design, control and behavior before building them into the physical robot.

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57:21 pm »
Lol, very impressive.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:11:49 pm by MrMedic »
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157