Author Topic: 1TB optical disc  (Read 4956 times)

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
Re: 1TB optical disc
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:52:39 am »
Furthermore imagine game consoles that run on these tera discs...
Bye bye Blu Ray
Never thought of that. Wow...
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

hoax-ravenheckler

• Master Heckler
  • Still the same old
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:21 pm »
Lets just see and wait. Maybe it turns out not to be so reliable or not that cheap.
There's never time to do things right, but there's always time to do it over.

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 10:00:56 pm »
Lets just see and wait. Maybe it turns out not to be so reliable or not that cheap.

Well looking at the entire human history of technology, eventually something of that size will be both. Just depends on what has to be done to make it feasible.

As for games being run off of Terabyte discs that would be something interesting. I'm surprised PC Game studios arn't getting behind this. I mean with all their whining about piracy, a tereabyte sized disc at least now won't be pirated alot  :icon_laugh

I'm trying to imagine the download time off of mininova for that  :icon_o_o
Innocence proves nothing

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:34 pm »
a tereabyte sized disc at least now won't be pirated alot
Wanna bet?
I have seen dual layer DVD games that have a shitty "protection" that just -fills- all the blank areas of the disk...when the game it's self is ripped from the "protection" it is less than a single layer DVD.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:17:02 am »
a tereabyte sized disc at least now won't be pirated alot
Wanna bet?
I have seen dual layer DVD games that have a shitty "protection" that just -fills- all the blank areas of the disk...when the game it's self is ripped from the "protection" it is less than a single layer DVD.

I'm not talking about the "protection" that companies come up with, it's simply a matter of size and time. Unless there's a massive boost in writing speed it would take hours to write a terabite sized disc. Downloading a copy wouldn't exactly take 10 minutes like CDs take. Realistically years down the road it will be where we are today in CD speeds, but it'll take a few years for the hardware to catch up
Innocence proves nothing

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 03:04:23 am »
Well I was just thinking of the "protection" part of it...with most of the disk filled with nonsense data.

Some game I d/l and checked out in the past 4 weeks took up a full dual layer DVD for D1 and almost all of a regular DVD for D2...point is that it is a -large- game and I d/l it overnight.

I personally don't know anyone with a blu-ray as it is and they still cost a mint...the blank disks must not be cheap either.

By the time Nero supports this newer 1TB disk I will have died of old age.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 05:47:03 am »
That's just idiotic for a company to do that to "protect" their game. It's a waste of their time and money, as well as probably slowing down our drive when it reads the disc.
And you downloaded a 2-dvd game overnight? What kind of bandwidth is available to you :icon_o_o?
Innocence proves nothing

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
By the time Nero supports this newer 1TB disk I will have died of old age.
Ah, so we don't have to wait that long. Joking Z, you'll live to be at least 200. Hopefully. Otherwise I have no American correspondent (other than Symantic). In a video shop close to my house, there's a small section of Blu-ray DVD's. What's interesting is that the DVD's there aren't all newly released... Some being over a decade old. But other than that one video shop, the only time I've heard about Blu-ray discs was either on here or on another forum.
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 01:02:58 pm »
Seriously guys, I don't think the disc protection software is anymore than 1-2 MB... If it was much bigger than that we'd have to wait long time for the drive to read as well as process it all (since disc protection mechanisms often use encryption).

This console idea is way ahead of it's time anyway because how big a game can be will always be subject to the size of the consoles memory, GPU & CPU speed/size. Unless of course they are just cramming loads of HD movie cut scenes onto the thing.
The average PS3 game only takes up 6GB of the 25GB disc.

The Illusive Man

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
    • Teamkill and cheat community
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 06:52:22 pm »
Blue Ray was always a fail imo.
Go to a store, look 1 movie thats new: 1 Normal one, 1 with bonus, 1 Full HD, and a Blue Ray one.   :heckler1

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:27:21 pm »
Seriously guys, I don't think the disc protection software is anymore than 1-2 MB... If it was much bigger than that we'd have to wait long time for the drive to read as well as process it all (since disc protection mechanisms often use encryption).

This console idea is way ahead of it's time anyway because how big a game can be will always be subject to the size of the consoles memory, GPU & CPU speed/size. Unless of course they are just cramming loads of HD movie cut scenes onto the thing.
The average PS3 game only takes up 6GB of the 25GB disc.

you can 'load on the fly' remember swiv for the c64 ? , it had a 1 mb game map with enemies equaling 2 mb and the whole computer had a maximum memory of 64 k with os stripping , lda 00 , sta 01 .. but anyway , it has not much to do with the size of memory , never did so long as the os can load quick enough which most consoles can load 34 megs of data from the dvds in 1 milisecond strips , so you would never notice it reading unless you looked at the light , this new 1 tb storage will open up virtual reality in real time most likely , all they need to do is develope the suit and vision shades .
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:16 pm »
Go to a store, look 1 movie thats new: 1 Normal one, 1 with bonus, 1 Full HD, and a Blue Ray one.   :heckler1

I'm guessing you're not from the US (Correct me if i'm wrong) but Blu-Ray has all but won, there are whole racks of them for sale here. HD companies have thrown in the towel, I think there's only one company that still supports it (Once again someone correct me if i'm wrong), so essentially Blu-Ray has the market for Hi-Def movies. . .
Innocence proves nothing

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 05:30:04 am »

I'm guessing you're not from the US (Correct me if i'm wrong) but Blu-Ray has all but won, there are whole racks of them for sale here. HD companies have thrown in the towel, I think there's only one company that still supports it (Once again someone correct me if i'm wrong), so essentially Blu-Ray has the market for Hi-Def movies. . .
Ahh, now you see it's totally the opposite here in Australia. Blu-ray is just starting to emerge (as per my previous post) and HD is still the in-thing. My father recently bought an 83cm LCD tv. Noticing blur, only a week after buying it he bought a Set top box (I think thats what they are called, correct me if im wrong). It greatly improved quality and it makes watching NASCAR's SO much better (especially with the surround sound). Well with the box we got extra channel, HD channels. They feature some good movies and these channels are still and "innovation" here in Aust. I know it sounds like we are behind in the world but I like to believe that we are only second, behind (yes you guessed it) America.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:26 am »
Seriously guys, I don't think the disc protection software is anymore than 1-2 MB...
Well believe it or not a -really crappy- "protection system" is out and being used (not often) that does in fact simply FILL a disks blank space with total CRAP and does -nothing- but check to see if the "crap" is there.
No encryption...no double checks. No "crap" between sectors = no running the game.

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 02:31:05 pm »
Well believe it or not a -really crappy- "protection system" is out and being used (not often) that does in fact simply FILL a disks blank space with total CRAP and does -nothing- but check to see if the "crap" is there.
No encryption...no double checks. No "crap" between sectors = no running the game.

Ah true, but the most popular protections like Safedisc and Securom don't use dummy files.

The Illusive Man