Author Topic: Computer is dead  (Read 1410 times)

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
Computer is dead
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »
Yeah, this messege is mostly to cross and medic, but applies to all.

let me first note that you should always check connections on your pc after blowing it out with an air compresser before you go and turn it on.

and medic, i got my cd rom to work, though...

let me just say, will be a while till i save up enough cash to fix it, for now i have access to the internet from my moms computer.

ohhh... cross i will be glad to trade you now  :icon_biggrin2

Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

Vicious

• Old Guard
  • Master Heckler
    • View Profile
Re: Computer is dead
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:03:04 am »
What happened? Did you fry/short-circuit something?
Innocence proves nothing

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:59:58 am »
A better question is why does he has an air compressor attached to his PC?  :icon_razz2

The Illusive Man

[TKC]Symantic

• The Central Committee
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:44:41 am »
I didn't have an air compressor attached to it, i just blew it out to get the damn dust out of it.

Its acting like power supply is busted, but i voltage tested it and its all good, which makes me suspect something is possibly fried on the motherboard.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:24:03 am »
I didn't have an air compressor attached to it, i just blew it out to get the damn dust out of it.

Its acting like power supply is busted, but i voltage tested it and its all good, which makes me suspect something is possibly fried on the motherboard.
You never, EVER, forcefully blow air onto an electronic appliance. Even I could tell you that. Dust or no dust.
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:46:38 am »

Lol, my bad.

What Jahov said.
It sounds like the air caused a static discharge destroying the mobo or one of the components.

Same shit applies to vacuuming the inside of a PC.

The Illusive Man

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:45:18 pm »
bad news m8 , selling your truck was an option , now its scrapped , and so is your pc .. look on the bright side you wont have to listen to scrossmol try and speak english for a while lol ..

btw if anyone is interested you can safely hoover inside the case as long as you HOLD onto the frame of the tower , make sure you make contact with the inside metal as it makes a bridge and earths it so if it does build up static it will discharge through you and goto ground , as any electrician knows , electricity no matter what voltage will take the quickest route to earth .. ie through you to ground.

bare this in mind if anyone does it as simply holding the case while hoovering it out will save you buying a new machine., same applys to when connecting/disconnecting hardware.

simple rules for simple things , i told symantic this but he must not have heard me.

anyway m8 sorry to hear it , good luck with getting a new pc geezer :)
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

MrMedic

• MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »

tried resetting your bios ?, theres a jumper switch that you set then unset , look for it on your mother board , it may just be your bios has gone into test mode which will make it look like exactly what your saying in the quote .

^ will look something like this ..

MrMedic

• MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:03:15 pm »

You never, EVER, forcefully blow air onto an electronic appliance. Even I could tell you that. Dust or no dust.

actually you should .. every 2 months or so , a can of compressed air will make your computer speed up , dust collects which traps heat , and heat and computer components dont get along too good , blowing out dust at least 1nc every 2 months will keep your pc in good shape.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:53:06 pm »
I have seen static kill a few peoples computters...and know of one person that used a can of air on a HOT computer and cracked chips.

I wait until I see a 1C raise in normal "over room" temps before I clean my own.
I first use a pipe cleaner to remove/loosen things,then a 1" -natural- bristle paintbrush and lastly a short blast of air.
Doing it this way seems to work best and a can of air will now do more than 15 computers!

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:37:03 pm »
If the comp isn't too old, check if your MB has a warranty. I trashed my RAM earlier, no idea how that happened, but it turned out there was a lifetime warranty. RMAed it and got it delivered to my front door :P

The MB I had earlier was also wrecked. RMAed it and got a better card in return.

Now that MB is (half) trashed, but good thing is that it has a 3 year warranty. So I'm finally sending it in tomorrow after two weeks of formal RMA-bureaucracy. Wonder in what way they're going to surprise me next . ;)
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:45 am »
I run my main rig 24/7/365 and -never- had one last a full 3 years!
Then again for the workload I put on things 1 year for me is like a "normal" user getting 3-4 years.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

[TKC]Symantic

• The Central Committee
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 01:48:21 am »
My hard drive was fked i think, i disconnected hardware one by one untill something happend, i took the hard drive off and now it semi-boots. After scrambling around i actually get it to the windows screen before total bootup failure (sudden shut off) I tried chkdsking it on bootup using the recovery consol and 3 hours later it crashes, i have a spair HD around here somewhere that i can test with, ive had this problem off and on for the last 5-6 months or so, but never this bad. I have a lifetime warranty on HD and i can get a new Motherboard from my step dads old work place (he was the directer of student technology at UCLA), i still know a few people there that could "hook me up".

well, im off to find more cash, just got outa school and came on to check emails and such. ohh, and medic suck it.

simple rules for simple things , i told symantic this but he must not have heard me.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 01:54:50 am »
Do you have a copy of SpinRite 6.0?
If so run it in mode #5 and it will recover all data and correct most "bad sectors" as well as update S.M.A.R.T.

Let me know if you can't find a copy...it is very small and MSN IM takes like 30 secs.
In fact I will plug in another HD with it on it and copy the files right now...you just need to unrar it and burn it to a CD.

MrMedic

• MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 04:27:47 pm »
ohh, and medic suck it.

you first :) henry lol