Author Topic: Forcing Windowed mode after game startup?  (Read 1054 times)

thumper

• "Astro-Noob"
  • Online Villain
    • View Profile
Forcing Windowed mode after game startup?
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:43:09 pm »
Alright, I know there are multiple ways to make games run windowed mode, from adding a -window/-w command to the executable to running specific d3d software that'll force an app into windowed mode on startup.

However, I was wondering if there's a way to turn a game into windowed mode AFTER it starts up - say, with Gametap, where you can't actually add a -w to the executable and there is no EXE. Games where alt-enter doesn't work.

Anybody know of anything that could do this?

This might belong in the OpenGL\Direct3D or Requests forum, if so please move it and apologies in advance.  :unsure

(Reason for this is there's a lot of nostalgic old games on there I like to play while working/doing something else, and fullscreen kind of removes the ability to do both)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:19:25 pm by thumper »

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
Re: Forcing Windowed mode after game startup?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:56:58 pm »
With D3D that won't be possible unless you restart the app.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 02:51:20 am »
if you have another computer on the network cant you just run the server client on tsearch or cheatengine? that should allow you to keep full screen and not have to minimize while you work.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:05 am »
Alright, I know there are multiple ways to make games run windowed mode, from adding a -window/-w command to the executable to running specific d3d software that'll force an app into windowed mode on startup.

However, I was wondering if there's a way to turn a game into windowed mode AFTER it starts up - say, with Gametap, where you can't actually add a -w to the executable and there is no EXE. Games where alt-enter doesn't work.

Anybody know of anything that could do this?

This might belong in the OpenGL\Direct3D or Requests forum, if so please move it and apologies in advance.  :unsure

(Reason for this is there's a lot of nostalgic old games on there I like to play while working/doing something else, and fullscreen kind of removes the ability to do both)

download and install numega softice , press ctrl + d after you configure it , you dont need a window mode then ;)
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

Subsky

• Insane Joker
  • Subskii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »

You actually can MO.  Use the starter kit to hook the returned D3DXdevice, and then call IDirect3DDeviceX::Reset(&D3DPresParams)

where:

D3DPresParams.Windowed = TRUE/FALSE.

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:55:05 pm »
I'm not sure if that will work ok. The game would have to have separate code chunks for windowed and non-windowed mode. And I've never seen any games that can switch to windowed mode without a restart.

thumper

• "Astro-Noob"
  • Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:02:43 am »

You actually can MO.  Use the starter kit to hook the returned D3DXdevice, and then call IDirect3DDeviceX::Reset(&D3DPresParams)

where:

D3DPresParams.Windowed = TRUE/FALSE.

I'll try that... thanks.

I'm not sure if that will work ok. The game would have to have separate code chunks for windowed and non-windowed mode. And I've never seen any games that can switch to windowed mode without a restart.

ALT-ENTER works for a lot of games. Donno if it's because it's programmed into the games or not.

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:15 pm »
But then you aren't talking about D3D games? But I guess it all comes down to design. One could fill full screen with a huge window too.

IllAssembly

• Klass Klown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:08 am »
hmm i do the -window if needed but if you just need to access your desktop from the game alt + esc minimizes it and it can be re-accessed...........other than that i dont know of any solution off the top...