Author Topic: Why do we cheat?  (Read 4531 times)

i R Cheater

• Cheater Apprentice
    • View Profile
Why do we cheat?
« on: January 18, 2008, 03:24:37 am »
Why do we cheat? Why do we need to do things that that a non-cheater can't do or simply chooses not to do... Is it for power?

In some games, a cheater can make bombs rain from the sky at his will. He has the power to go anywhere in an instant. A president or king has the ability to make decisions that affect millions of lives and a server administrator could remove a players ability to play but why does he feel the need to do it? Is it for power?

Why does it feel good to be able to do things that other palyers can't or won't do  :icon_confused2

Why does it make us laugh when other players display their emotions because some players are doing things that they cannot?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:29:52 am by i R Cheater »

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Re: Why do we cheat?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 03:28:44 am »
The short answere is FUN.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 03:42:39 am »
Kind of the same philosophy applied into freerunner philosophy, i think the answer is "just cause we can". now, free running and some instances in parkour take paths no normal person can just to feel like they are not being "held back".  why walk around a rail when you can go through it or over it?
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

thumper

• "Astro-Noob"
  • Online Villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:37:09 am »
I think of it like this.

Let's compare a Special Forces soldier vs. a random, poorly trained Insurgent. Let's compare the equipment and technology available to the SF vs. the Insurgent.

The SF has access to GPS, satellites, intel, weapons that can SEE AROUND CORNERS and fire without risk to the shooter, etc. etc. Not to mention they've gone through incredibly taxing and brutal training. (and passed it)

The Insurgent... well, they got handed an AK47, some Opium, and were told to point it at the enemy and pull the trigger.

Using cheats, we're like the SF soldiers against a bunch of Insurgents. It's not called cheating in REAL combat when one side uses technological advances against the other, right? And hacks are just technological advances.

:icon_o_o

(Granted, I usually play without them, I only use cheats when I feel like it... so... uhh.. yeah, to sum that all up, cheats = FUN)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:46:07 pm »
I don't cheat in contests.
Thats why they are called a -contest-.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

PREDATOR

• Cheater Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:04:21 pm »
Gotta agree with Zold there. Cheating is just for fun. I use it to blow off steam, and embarrass my buddies with mass pwnage.  Lately, I've only played online in tourneys and contests. Had a few clans last year, but didn't do too much with them, sold my PSP and games.

When I get back to gaming on the regular, I'll have to link up with you guys and see if you've improved at all  :icon_razz2

Jimmy

• Insane Joker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jimmyschot.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:35:59 pm »
The short answere is FUN.

So its fun to ruin peoples expectations once they join a server someone actually pays for, to find some guy in there that can score 999 flags in about 3 minutes, and killing everyone in the server the very same time?

If your answer is yes, I can only draw the conclusion you do it for more then just fun.
In the normal sense, people do stuff that is fun, without annoying other people, because as we all learned, annoying, is not fun.
So, basicly what you are saying is, I recognize the fact people are annoyed by me, but, I put my personal joy over those that are annoyed by my behaviour.

Which brings me to the conlusion, that besides acting selfish, its also very childish to do so.

I'm not convicting those that do cheat, this is just my thought on the case.  :icon_thumbsup

b00n

• Insane Joker
  • pb,hackshield,vac sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:11:37 pm »
right right right

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:30:43 pm »

So its fun to ruin peoples expectations once they join a server someone actually pays for

yes ?
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

Jimmy

• Insane Joker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:59:10 pm »
thanks for underlining my point  :icon_thumbsup

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:52 pm »
no problem :icon_thumbsup

EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

Crossmol

• Heckler
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:50:58 pm »
Why do we cheat?
As a wise UK bastard once said: 'Because we can.....'
I have to agree with that  :icon_biggrin2

On the other hand, as I stated before (way back): We're not cheating, we're using the features of the game. It's just that most people haven't discovered them yet.

So its fun to ruin peoples expectations once they join a server someone actually pays for, to find some guy in there that can score 999 flags in about 3 minutes, and killing everyone in the server the very same time?
Usually when a 'cheater' owns on such server he gets kicked and banned. Why? Because the admin payed for the server (as you stated) and he disagrees with the 'cheaters' gameplay. Now basicly he can do whatever he want because he payed for his game(server). The 'cheaters' also payed for their games wich makes it legally his so he can play the game as he sees fit as well. Serveradmins usually want everybody 'to obey their master'. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

The game manuals usually state that you can play online on many servers. It never says anything about a 12 year old admin who bans people because he gets owned (example) and doesn't aprove your gamingstyle. Basicly what I'm trying to say tat everybody is entitled to play the game they payed for in their own way, with or without extra features. It's called freedom.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:13:54 pm by Crossmol »
Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow...

Jimmy

• Insane Joker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 01:18:37 pm »
I don't agree with that.
I think its rather childish to actually state: "oh it doesnt says in the manual/case that I can't use a wallhack, so here i go!"
I also don't understand your point when it comes to the 12 years old admin.
Wether you like it or not, its his server, period.
If he wants to ban everybody, its his right, not saying its good though.
I also read from your post Crossmol, that you concur with the fact admins ban cheaters, that you accept this respond to cheating.
But why is there a unbanner tool created then?  :smile

Crossmol

• Heckler
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:43:47 pm »
I can't use a wallhack, so here i go!
I didn't say use a wallhack. What I ment to say was is that the manuals say that you can play online, no more, no less. They should add something like that you might be banned/kicked by admins for not leveling with them (something like that).

I also don't understand your point when it comes to the 12 years old admin.
That was just an example, altho you know that there are a lot of childish admins out there that ban people for no good reason like camping, offering opinions etc etc.

Wether you like it or not, its his server, period.
If he wants to ban everybody, its his right, not saying its good though.
True spoken, because he payed for the server, just as I payed for my copy of the game.

I also read from your post Crossmol, that you concur with the fact admins ban cheaters, that you accept this respond to cheating.
The word 'cheating' is between quotes because IMHO it's not cheating. Some call it cheating, some creative gaming, some using features of the game etc etc. What I'm trying to say is that everybody is entitled to play the game they payed for in a way that they see fit. I think this part will never be solved because everybody has it's own opinion about this. It's one of those discussions that has no end.

Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow...

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 01:46:40 pm »
But why is there a unbanner tool created then?  :smile
cause people be hating up in dere.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.