Author Topic: The Great Escape problems..  (Read 973 times)

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
The Great Escape problems..
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:38:41 am »
I got a version of this game and I unrarred it (ripped) and just started to play straight away. I go into the options then controls then key assignment and I try to assign keys (there are no default keys in this version of the game). So I set all the keys but I have one problem, I can't go back out of that menu or back to the previous or main menu. The only thing I can do is ALT-TAB or CTRL-ALT-DEL my way out of the game and kill it off in the Task Manager. When I go BACK in the game and look at the controls they have reseted back to the default ones (no keys are set in the default setting). I thought I could maybe manually set the controls and I found many registry keys in the directory of the game (2 reg keys have a list of controls). I put the reg keys into my computer (successfully entered into the reg or w/e) and still I have no controls. So far I am stuck. I have tried to google it but it's hard enough finding websites about the GAME let alone people having problems with it (most of the topics I find are about the movie or other unrelated topics). Any help would be grateful.
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Escape problems..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 08:58:43 pm »
could try making a trainer that would set the keys,
could even make a launcher that would load the .dll and start the game, that way you dont have to be assed every time you start.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 07:46:16 am »
could try making a trainer that would set the keys,
could even make a launcher that would load the .dll and start the game, that way you dont have to be assed every time you start.
A bit of a hassle but I may as well try it. I tried contacting you about this problem on MSN and everytime it said you were afk (automated message). And what do you mean assed. I think maybe you thought that I had been put into the options screen and not let out? Nah thats not the case but I have to go into options to set the keys otherwise (and yes I have tried this) when I start a "new game" I have to get the back of the plane to put out fire (or jump out of plane - don't remember because last time I played it was 6 months ago on my PS2) and the only thing I can do is look around with my mouse but no movement. I'll hit you up on your MSN and maybe I can lend some time?
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:23:47 am »
Check the game folder.
You might be able to find an ini config file that contains the keymapping configuration.
They look like this when opened.

Code: [Select]
[Keymap]
Inventory=I
Character Record=R
Return To Game=G
Journal=J
Map=M

The Illusive Man

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 09:11:06 am »
Check the game folder.
You might be able to find an ini config file that contains the keymapping configuration.

[Keymap]
Inventory=I
Character Record=R
Return To Game=G
Journal=J
Map=M

Thats what I see in my The Great Escape folder. The data folder has 2 subfolders called FMV and Sound. If it's relevant I'll take pics of those folders (they are full of .bik and .psf files). In about 2 of those reg entries I found the keymapping and I added them to the reg only to have it do nothing.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:26:41 am »

Thats in the WINGMAN reg entry. It's the same in I think the rest of the reg entries except 2 of them. It's the same in the other keymapping entries but with different controls allocated to different keys. I exhausted these options before. Maybe that top command (Windows Registry Editor) is wrong? I did put it there myself after I had that problem that didn't let me put the reg entry in as I had a problem with the same thing a year ago and googled a solution. I put the line in there based on memory and it could be wrong? Thanks a lot for the help too. This is a stupid problem to have.

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 10:53:36 am »
Check the game folder.

[Keymap]
Inventory=I
Character Record=R
Return To Game=G
Journal=J
Map=M

the reason i didn't recommended this is because he said that the game reset it every time no matter what, so its not saving/reading correctly if this file is present.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 10:55:40 am »
Check the game folder.

[Keymap]
Inventory=I
Character Record=R
Return To Game=G
Journal=J
Map=M

the reason i didn't recommended this is because he said that the game reset it every time no matter what, so its not saving/reading correctly if this file is present.
It only does that when I End Process through Task Manager though so it doesn't have time to save.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:28 am »
Problem solved, thanks for everyone's help.