Author Topic: Hydrogen cars helping enviroment?  (Read 1196 times)

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
Hydrogen cars helping enviroment?
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:41:42 am »
Let me start off by saying sorry for being so inactive. I've been busy with school and work, along with working with a team of people run by myself that is designing and building a turbine engine.

In my research i have been looking for a cheap source of energy. Looking into hydrogen first, i discovered those so called "clean burning" hydrogen cars are actually hurting the environment more than those Eco friendly tree huggers might imagine. (not that i care, but some people do).

the commercial way of creating hydrogen is through electrolysis of H2O. Basically all you do is just pump electricity through water and collecting the separation of oxygen(O2) and hydrogen (H2) from the electrodes (conductive material that is placed into the water and energized).

So, how are we currently creating electricity? we are mostly using fossil fuels...

Hydrogen is nothing but a storage device. so we burn fossil fuels to create electricity to pump through water to collect explosive hydrogen?

this is not efficient in any sense. Yes, energy is never lost, but the refinement of hydrogen is not efficient because some energy is transferred into heat and also the separation of the oxygen.

So if you were Eco friendly wouldn't you just rather get a gasoline car?  think about it.

-Symantic
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Re: Hydrogen cars helping enviroment?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:49:22 am »
Like I said on MSN...
http://tkc-community.net/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

Good to see your getting it together in school.
While I was away from July-first half of November I find via a REPORT CARD mailed to me that Mini-Z was ABSENT 22 days!
Reminds my of my own youth  decades back.
I suppose most of us are half stupid at that age.

If he wants to work at UCLA or get 4 years of free schooling in the USAF he had better get his shit together by the end of next school year as he is 18 in Jan.

Oh...
So, how are we currently creating electricity? we are mostly using fossil fuels...
This is why the failed ELECTRIC CARS cause more pollution than a combustion vehicle.

Only a Dem would pass a law to promote this ...and only if they had hidden stock to fill their pockets.
Ron Paul FTW in 2008!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:00:41 pm by ZOldDude »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

[TKC]Symantic

• The Central Committee
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:30:44 pm »
I'm actually planning on attending UCLA, they have a great electrical engineering program there. I'm still going through highschool at the moment along with starting some community college courses next semester.

the actual idea for the project was to get my something to put on a resume no one else could. I just found 3 other people who had my same logical thought and understanding of how things work.

We are still deciding on the fuel we will use, and I'm thinking hydrogen would be best. I don't care about the environment at all, i just think that it would be easier to maintain the turbine with a clean burning fuel source going through it.

also, we are thinking about refining our own hydrogen using a cell that we have been designing.

My part of the project is mostly electrical and computer. Ive been working on ways to controll the whole thing remotely via computer, from intake, speed, gas injection, ignition. also monitoring rpm, wind velocity, video, emissions, and efficiency.

I have been working alot on programming i would need, as well as what i would have to have to run everything remotely. I will probably build a separate small power computer that i will mount somewhere near it and controll that computer remotely to run servos and diagnostic. I figure running one ethernet wire and running it from the network would be easier than running a wire for each thing.

i have also been working on a way to make it more efficient, I'm thinking the turbine will power an electrical generator that will put some power back into creating hydrogen.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 12:54:41 pm »
Good to see what brought you to TKC in the first place has moved into other real life issues and I for one support your every effort.

As to both environment and power I favor wind and solar....which could be a power source for H.

Of course no matter what mankind does we all must face the fact that in the end our planet will -again- die as it has many times in the past before us/human times,but if we are wise that end time may be prolonged.

Sands into stone.
http://www.myspace.com/billkirchen
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:59:42 pm by ZOldDude »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

[TKC]Symantic

• The Central Committee
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:21:32 pm »
Ohh noo, dont worry. the planet will be fine lol. but human life will cease to exist if anything.

As for solar and wind, these are the only 2 forms of "free" energy i can see, that is if you dont count the energy it takes to create these :D.

also, since you are in california, they have this deal where the state will pay like half the cost for solar on a residential home. Should look into that.

solar is probably the best way to go if you look at evolution.
look at the most thriving living thing on the face of the earth... plants.
Plants use the suns energy for power, and im sure it has to be right because millions of years of evolution says so.

Frank P.

• Heckler Apprentice
  • Still J Day N*gga....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:48 pm »
Like I said on MSN...

While I was away from July-first half of November I find via a REPORT CARD mailed to me that Mini-Z was ABSENT 22 days!

If he wants to work at UCLA or get 4 years of free schooling in the USAF he had better get his shit together by the end of next school year as he is 18 in Jan.

Oh...
This is why the failed ELECTRIC CARS cause more pollution than a combustion vehicle.

Only a Dem would pass a law to promote this ...and only if they had hidden stock to fill their pockets.
Ron Paul FTW in 2008!

(One of) The most polluting countries is America, mostly due to it's size but haven't they signed that new "Kyoto Protocol"? The new prime minister of Australia (voted in because his first name rhymes with the year of election - Kevin 07) signed it to decrease pollutions. I think America and China also signed it didn't they? In 50 years shouldn't EVERYONE be using not only a less emittance car but an extremely low maybe even a no emittance car. That being the case they would have to design (and build) an engine that uses fuel that is easy to obtain and low emitting in the next few years as to get every to be using it in say 50 years time, well either the countries will lose a lot of money funding everyone to get this new cars or hardly anybody will get the new cars (don't forget all of the loans etc they already have).
Being Australian is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, and then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 02:56:53 pm »
also, since you are in california, they have this deal where the state will pay like half the cost for solar on a residential home. Should look into that.
Believe me my younger brother I have and support such things far beyond each public vote.
I am very active in all things political.

I am "that fool" who believes I can help change the world.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:03:51 pm by ZOldDude »

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:48 pm »
Like I said on MSN...

Oh...

Ron Paul FTW in 2008!

(One of) The most polluting countries is America, mostly due to it's size but haven't they signed that new "Kyoto Protocol"? The new prime minister of Australia (voted in because his first name rhymes with the year of election - Kevin 07) signed it to decrease pollutions. I think America and China also signed it didn't they? In 50 years shouldn't EVERYONE be using not only a less emittance car but an extremely low maybe even a no emittance car. That being the case they would have to design (and build) an engine that uses fuel that is easy to obtain and low emitting in the next few years as to get every to be using it in say 50 years time, well either the countries will lose a lot of money funding everyone to get this new cars or hardly anybody will get the new cars (don't forget all of the loans etc they already have).
I am a common man who has many decades of age behind me.
As such I cast my votes when allowed with the full wisdom of my age.
(And why I fully support TKC)
I also try to mentor those my Juniors with the wisdom of my many years on earth.
Look at what I have posted and see answers to your questions.
Forum search is a good tool.

Z
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:41:47 pm by ZOldDude »