Author Topic: ZoldWord  (Read 4571 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
Re: ZoldWord
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 05:20:30 am »
Yeah Z it took a real genius to find out who did it..
We were extremely bored in the weekend so instead of doing something useful we decided to put somebody's picture in a map. After posting some funny pictures including the one you mentioned we used that one as that was the funniest.
Someone made a menu and that was included too, just because we were bored.
Don't feel insulted cause this week it was you, next week we'll do mullah :D Or Subsky if that makes you feel any better....
If you still feel insulted I'm very sorry about that, truly are.
Regards,
LazyPig

PS. to all those guys who say I'm sick in the brain: Yeah, you're right ! ! ! ! !
I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane :D

Yeh I know whats up and thought the idea was funny myself...now I am a celeberty!

I never d/l anything myself....you say it had a MENU installed as well?
You mean the MENU that installs itself over tha normal games menu....like a TROJAN?
Did you include a readme file telling people this would change their games menu?
Does it -still- overwrite the normal game ALL the time and force a reinstall to reset the game?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:25:54 am by ZOldDude »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

LazyPig

• Klass Klown
  • Sus scrofa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2007, 05:23:04 am »
No I didn't...
If they play this on a server and they restart their vietcong they are presented with a new menu like in the screenshot marecek posted...
So yeah i think it is like a trojan...
No need for reinstall, just delete the zoldworld.cbf and zoldworld.dat file from vietcong\maps and it is gone forever

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.   (Sir Winston Churchill)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2007, 05:29:23 am »
No I didn't...
If they play this on a server and they restart their vietcong they are presented with a new menu like in the screenshot marecek posted...

Why would you guys want to put trojans on peoples computers?
Last time I looked a few hours ago....83 people had you alter their games files without their prior knowlage. :icon_sly

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

LazyPig

• Klass Klown
  • Sus scrofa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:54 am »
No I didn't...

Last time I looked a few hours ago....83 people had you alter their games files without their prior knowlage. :icon_sly
Seems like I edited my post while you were typing this, only delete the zoldworld.cbf and zoldworld.dat from vietcong\maps and all is gone.
It's just a cbf thing but it is packed in the map cbf file

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.   (Sir Winston Churchill)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2007, 05:32:44 am »
I found a funny map while playing on a server the other day. I don't know who made it or what the server name was but I think you will all have some laughs playing this map.

Just extract the files in vietcong\maps and you're good to go

Have phun  :icon_biggrin2

EDITED: File removed becuase it has a trojan the makers put in it.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2007, 05:34:32 am »
No I didn't...

Seems like I edited my post while you were typing this, only delete the zoldworld.cbf and zoldworld.dat from vietcong\maps and all is gone.
It's just a cbf thing but it is packed in the map cbf file

Why do I feel if I never asked that you would have never told those people who downloaded this about it?

LazyPig

• Klass Klown
  • Sus scrofa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2007, 05:41:39 am »
Hehe, trojan is a big word though, it shows however that a certain risk is involved with the downloading of maps on remote servers.
Every cbf hack that's ever been made could be packed in the map.cbf file and spread on all client computers downloading that map from that server. This time it was only a menu but it shows that there is always a risk involved.
Luckily it's easy to fix; just delete the map.cbf and the map.dat and all is gone.
It is done in more usermaps including damnaphu and others, if you play a map and have a problem after that delete that map.
There was no real trojan since there was no executable code in it!

MrMedic

• MasstKer
  • programmer/dev/software engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2007, 06:02:25 am »
Hehe, trojan is a big word though, it shows however that a certain risk is involved with the downloading of maps on remote servers.
Every cbf hack that's ever been made could be packed in the map.cbf file and spread on all client computers downloading that map from that server. This time it was only a menu but it shows that there is always a risk involved.
Luckily it's easy to fix; just delete the map.cbf and the map.dat and all is gone.
It is done in more usermaps including damnaphu and others, if you play a map and have a problem after that delete that map.

lol it was kinda funny
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:11:01 am by mrm »
EnCoded Message: i3iy9yl8kr2xf3g2Txs3pr6ye3ya7jg5ty2z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_7-AYfdkQ
you need a paypal account for the private versions.

http://bit.ly/medic101

Teamspeak 3: 85.236.101.5:10157

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2007, 06:26:28 am »

Trojan is not such a big word...only 6 letters...it is a correct word for what was in the file however.

no executable code
You install it,run it,and change the files...how can you say that the code never ran/executed?

As you say it does point out the dangers of downloading things from those who find it fun to mess with other peoples computers.
This is why I never download files or except files via IM's from untrustworthy people.

I was going to leave the map as a good joke is fun...but making new accounts in an attempt to hide the identity of a small group of people who would go so far as to place trojans on others computers is not an act that most people would call "trustworthy".

I think all the only people that have ever been truly banned on TKC had all posted virus/trojans.....leakers and anticheaters only get demoted.

Marecek

• Klass Klown
  • MuHaHa :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:27 am »
If it the trojan,I am Santa Claus  :wacko
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:46:36 pm by Marecek »

LazyPig

• Klass Klown
  • Sus scrofa
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 05:06:45 pm »
Z, why is Dargor muted??? He didn't even know there was an extra menu that came with the map, he wasn't involved in making it either.
He just joined the server and played the map, he must have found out about the menu the other day. I put the menu in there, somebody made the 3 tga files but I packed them in the map's cbf file so if one is to be muted or warned or whatever it should be me, I knew what I was doing. The other people just played along....
Seems unfair if I get away with it with just you calling me a guy who puts trojans on peoples computer and dargor who only wanted to share is muted....

btw. I checked cnet's download site and more than half of the downloads there are trojans  :icon_o_o
They come with toolbars, sponsor programs, addons etc.  And they have executable code in it, my map is only data and no code.
Are they "people who put trojans on other peoples computer" too???

Marecek

• Klass Klown
  • MuHaHa :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:51 pm »
 :icon_o_o

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 08:09:02 am »
Z, why is Dargor muted??? He didn't even know there was an extra menu that came with the map, he wasn't involved in making it either.
He just joined the server and played the map, he must have found out about the menu the other day. I put the menu in there, somebody made the 3 tga files but I packed them in the map's cbf file so if one is to be muted or warned or whatever it should be me, I knew what I was doing. The other people just played along....
Seems unfair if I get away with it with just you calling me a guy who puts trojans on peoples computer and dargor who only wanted to share is muted....

btw. I checked cnet's download site and more than half of the downloads there are trojans  :icon_o_o
They come with toolbars, sponsor programs, addons etc.  And they have executable code in it, my map is only data and no code.

He is the one who posted it and altered the game files for everyone who downloaded it.
The fact that it used your concept in changing game files is not the issue here.

I put the menu in there, somebody made the 3 tga files but I packed them in the map's cbf file so if one is to be muted or warned or whatever it should be me, I knew what I was doing. The other people just played along.

I already knew who did what. I left the map as a download because I also thought it was funny....until hearing about the trojan aspects included.

He was muted for putting the trojan infected file up on TKC for d/l.
If you had done it yourself you would have been banned (only for the trojan part) and I think you knew that...so you had him post it.

I checked cnet's download site and more than half of the downloads there are trojans  :icon_o_o

No they are not installing trojans.
They DISCLOSE the fact that these things will be added/changed before/during install.

I posted in another thread many weeks ago that people should only d/l maps from sites like VET,vietcong-game.net or Don's site (Meat Grinders) as they act as access to large and safe collections.
It is sad that you had a part in proving that post all too true.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:17:19 am by ZOldDude »

LazyPig

• Klass Klown
  • Sus scrofa
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 01:09:56 pm »
He is the one who posted it and altered the game files for everyone who downloaded it.
The fact that it used your concept in changing game files is not the issue here.
He didn't know that menu was in there, he got it on the server we played it on. A server that should have been password protected but we didn't..... mistake....
I already knew who did what. I left the map as a download because I also thought it was funny....until hearing about the trojan aspects included.
So ok you can take a joke, that's good but trojan is a big word for just 3 changed pictures (menu_top, menu_middle, menu_bottom)
He was muted for putting the trojan infected file up on TKC for d/l.
If you had done it yourself you would have been banned (only for the trojan part) and I think you knew that...so you had him post it.
The file was not intended to be uploaded here, we made it cause we were bored but did not have any plans with it, again we should have passworded the server while playing to prevent others from joining, forgot that; stupid mistake..
No they are not installing trojans.
They DISCLOSE the fact that these things will be added/changed before/during install.
So the fact that they state that their package comes with a hidden addon and they mention this somewhere hidden between half a milion words in small print in the eula that they know nobody reads will make it ok??

I posted in another thread many weeks ago that people should only d/l maps from sites like VET,vietcong-game.net or Don's site (Meat Grinders) as they act as access to large and safe collections.
Safe from what? There is NO code in a map and if you pack it in the cbf it will NOT be executed, its only data. So the worst thing that could happen if there is something wrong with a map is that you have to delete the map.cbf and map.dat.... big risk.... :icon_o_o
It is sad that you had a part in proving that post all too true.
Well what can I say? Shit happens... I just want to say that there were no animals hurt during the production of this file and I'm sorry if any people were hurt.

When you asked if it was like a trojan and I said yes I was talking about the trojan horse the greeks used to conquer the old city of Troy.
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Horse
The Greek siege of Troy had lasted for ten years. The Greeks devised a new ruse: a giant hollow wooden horse. It was built by Epeius and filled with Greek warriors led by Odysseus. The rest of the Greek army appeared to leave, but actually hid behind Tenedos. Meanwhile, a Greek spy, Sinon, convinced the Trojans that the horse was a gift despite the warnings of Laocoon and Cassandra; Helen and Deiphobus even investigated the horse; in the end, the Trojans accepted the gift. In ancient times it was customary for a defeated general to surrender his horse to the victorious general in a sign of respect. It should be noted here that the horse was the sacred animal of Poseidon; during the contest with Athena over the patronage of Athens, Poseidon gave men the horse, and Athena gave the olive tree.

The Trojans hugely celebrated the end of the siege, so that, when the Greeks emerged from the horse, the city was in a drunken stupor. The Greek warriors opened the city gates to allow the rest of the army to enter, and the city was pillaged ruthlessly, all the men were killed, and all the women and children were taken into slavery.
The map came with a hidden menu (only picture) and in that way it resembles that old wooden horse.
In the context of computer software, a trojan is usually more then just some pictures that change the background of a menu.
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Horse
In the context of computer software, a Trojan horse is a program that contains or installs a malicious program (sometimes called the payload or 'trojan'). The term is derived from the classical myth of the Trojan Horse. Trojan horses may appear to be useful or interesting programs (or at the very least harmless) to an unsuspecting user, but are actually harmful when executed. (See Social engineering.)

Often the term is shortened to simply trojan, even though this turns the adjective into a noun, reversing the myth (Greeks, not Trojans, were gaining malicious access).

There are two common types of Trojan horses. One is otherwise useful software that has been corrupted by a hacker inserting malicious code that executes while the program is used. Examples include various implementations of weather alerting programs, computer clock setting software, and peer to peer file sharing utilities. The other type is a standalone program that masquerades as something else, like a game or image file, in order to trick the user into some misdirected complicity that is needed to carry out the program's objectives.

Trojan horse programs cannot operate autonomously, in contrast to some other types of malware, like viruses or worms. Just as the Greeks needed the Trojans to bring the horse inside for their plan to work, Trojan horse programs depend on actions by the intended victims. As such, if trojans replicate and even distribute themselves, each new victim must run the program/trojan. Therefore their virulence is of a different nature, depending on successful implementation of social engineering concepts rather than flaws in a computer system's security design or configuration.

However there is another meaning for the term 'Trojan Horse' in the field of computer architecture. Here it basically represents any piece of User Code which makes the Kernel Code access anything it would not have been able to access itself in the first place (i.e making the OS do something it wasn't supposed to be doing). Such security loopholes are called Trojan Horses.

This is what Kaspersky says about trojans:
Quote from: http://www.viruslist.com/en/virusesdescribed
Trojan Programs

This class of malware includes a wide variety of programs that perform actions without the user's knowledge or consent: collecting data and sending it to a cyber criminal, destroying or altering data with malicious intent, causing the computer to malfunction, or using a machine's capabilities for malicious or criminal purposes, such as sending spam.

A subset of Trojans damage remote machines or networks without compromising infected machines; these are Trojans that utilize victim machines to participate in a DoS attack on a designated web site.

And eset:
Quote from: http://www.eset.com/threat-center/threats.php
Trojan Horse
A Trojan Horse, often referred to as just a Trojan, is a program which purports to do one thing, but actually does another. Not always damaging or malicious, they are often associated with things like deleting files, overwriting hard-drives, or being used to provide remote access to a system for an attacker. Classical Trojans include keyloggers being delivered as game files, or file deleters masquerading as useful utilities. Trojans can be used for many purposes including
Remote Access (sometimes called Remote Access Tools or RAT's, or Backdoors)
Keylogging and password stealing (Most spyware falls into this category)
Now doesnt that all sound much more serious then displaying some foolish pictures over the menu?? (not overwriting original ones, ours only gets priority over the original ones like with all cbf changes). Something that goes away the moment you delete the map again from vietcong\maps\

By destiny compell'd, and in despair,
The Greeks grew weary of the tedious war,
And by Minerva's aid a fabric rear'd,
Which like a steed of monstrous height appear'd:
The sides were plank'd with pine; they feign'd it made
For their return, and this the vow they paid..
Thus they pretend, but in the hollow side
Selected numbers of their soldiers hide:
With inward arms the dire machine they load,
And iron bowels stuff the dark abode.
Laocoon, follow'd by a num'rous crowd,
Ran from the fort, and cried, from far, aloud:
‘O wretched countrymen! What fury reigns?
What more than madness has possess'd your brains?
Think you the Grecians from your coasts are gone?
And are Ulysses' arts no better known?
This hollow fabric either must inclose,
Within its blind recess, our secret foes;
Or 't is an engine rais'd above the town,
T' o'erlook the walls, and then to batter down.
Somewhat is sure design'd, by fraud or force:
Trust not their presents, nor admit the horse.’

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 10:25:43 pm »
I read about half of that.

If the file had contained notification that it would alter the game then it could never be called a trojan.

As your friend registered ONLY to put the file up for d/l and you said nothing about the other aspects of it....he is muted for the standard amount of time.

Any other user made maps will need to be hosted on those fansites that deal with maps....no more map hosting on TKC's bandwith to avoid future problems.

Topic locked.