Author Topic: OS reinstalls or not "how to"  (Read 1030 times)

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
OS reinstalls or not "how to"
« on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:33 am »
I never reformat OR re-install the OS.
I have systems with XP running with same install from the week XP -first- went onsale.
My systems STILL boot to desktop in 7 Secs or less!

I run programs around the 1st of each month:

Windows clean up.
Norton WinDoctor.
TuneUp Utilities.
Reg Cleaner.

I reboot after each one and then run CHKDSK from command prompt (if it makes a repair then I reboot again).
Next I run TuneUp Utilities program called Registry Defrag (you have cleaned the registry....now defrag it!)

Next I run Windows BootVis and tell it to lay out my startup programs for fastest boot time.

Reboot again.
Run CHKDSK again....if no errors then I defrag the HD it's self (and then reboot).

For the main HD defrag I let Norton do it....it uses the -full- version of the program Windows has for a defragment program. Now and then I also use a defrag program made buy O&O (German...good program).

Two times a year I use SpinRite 6.0 by Steve Gibson (www.grc.com). It "refreshes" all the info on a HD....AND it will REPAIR corrupted files and RECOVER BAD SECTORS!!!
As long as your HD still spins....this program is the best thing you could own.
It will recover things that some companies charge $4000 or more to do.
The drawback is that it can take 18 hours to run a 100GB drive thru the program....thus I only use it two times a year.

Although at times you MIGHT have a registry entry become corrupt and cause things to not work/run....RESIST the urge to re-install or re-format!
Take the time to research what has happened and REPAIR the corrupted registry entry.

If you recall I had a BIG problem getting the computers on LAN here to transfer files not that long ago. Google is our friend,just enter the error code number.

Now I can boot to desktop in 7 secs (or less on some systems)...and it takes that long because I boot from ONE drive only (no Raid for me....had 1 bad time and that was enough for my lifetime!)

I recall you had Raid 5 set up.
If your using only software to do it and get an error.....I wish you luck.
The ONLY way I would ever use Raid (any type) would be if I had a separate Raid controller card with IT'S OWN recovery program.

NOTE:
1) Never have any "clean up" program delete 'lost clusters' or CHKDSK will not be able to repair bad entry.
2) Never defrag a HD before you first run CHKDSK.
3) Allways reboot after each/any clean-up,defrag,CHKDSK or related program.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:38:12 pm by Mullah Omar »

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
    • Teamkill and cheat community
Re: OS reinstalls or not "how to"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 10:36:26 pm »
I really do need a reformat. : (
Since this pc has only 45GB left of the 150 and im the only one using it.
My downloads folder is 16GB, an other music foder 1GB.
Program files bout 10GB.

Im like WTF where did the other GB's go in 0o?
This pc is a left over from my 2 older sisters that have their own now.
Had a new hdd last feb.
I have gotten great protection, Kasperski and Spysweeper.
Im stil llike wtf.. where did the gb's go..
Oh and i defragment it every 3/2 months..

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 12:15:59 am »
Most problems are avoided if you just partition your HD right. Put 10-20GB for a windows only partition. With updates and sys related software. Then create one partition for programs and one for files. Or one HD for files purely.

You don't need to defrag as often then. Comp runs ok all the time.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 01:01:48 am »
Since this pc has only 45GB left of the 150 and im the only one using it
I have 7 computers here on my LAN.
I use up at least 100GB of storage each month!
One computer has over 900GB of HD installed on it alone.
I got to the point that I do not even bother to INSTALL new storage...I now use a USB-to ATA/SATA connector.

Now I open a box with a new 300+GB HD....connect this USB thing to it and move files from whatever computer I want more space on....then disconnect the USB thing and close the box that the new HD came in,put it away on a self.

The USB to ATA/SATA adapter and software driver CD is sold on Newegg.com for $19 USD.

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

Oynky

• Banned
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • 6f 6d 67 68 61 78
    • View Profile
    • Teamkill and cheat community
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 12:54:36 pm »
I think i will just go get an new pc, i saved some money and my dad will help with the funds :p
Cus i need a bigger screen, better vid card, i want 2 hdd's not 1, i can use some more RAM.  :o

[TKC]Symantic

• The Indifferent Character
  • The Central Committee
  • Heckler
  • I can has personal text?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 06:49:06 am »
ZOldDude I guess its fine to be cautious, but its kinda like washing your hands 300 times a day, it wont hurt anything, but it won't really do much good.
Enjoy your creative game-play, whatever that may include.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:48:55 am »
ZOldDude I guess its fine to be cautious, but its kinda like washing your hands 300 times a day, it wont hurt anything, but it won't really do much good.

Never did any harm either.
I test all new software on a -virtual machine- and even that is off LAN on on it's own box.

Believe me when I tell you that stuff is out that KNOWS it is on a VM and will not "run" until moved to a normal system.
Last month alone 9 such programs have been announced.
It is getting to the point that not even the wise are immune.

If you think you need a reinstall of your OS the method I layed out is the most practical alto not the most secure metode to operate under.
If your system has been infected at any level it can NEVER be fully trusted again.

For full security in that situation only a cleaned HD using Boot-n-Nuke and reinstall of the OS from a clean disk or snapshot is safe in my mind and general security practices(disconet from Network during operations).

Your OS and what very few things really need to be on "C" should be on a "C" partition of 10-20GB's (far more than enough) and a backup of the "snapshot" of the install (not connected to Network) should be then made.

All updates to the OS or any apps on that partion should only be made AFTER it is taken off Network and refreshed from the "snapshot" you saved first (or install disk) and then reconnected to Network and updated.
In such a case NAT or compleat physical disconnection is your friend.

The point of using the storage methods I do is just for practical reasons not related to security reasons.

Z

PS:
its kinda like washing your hands 300 times a day, it wont hurt anything, but it won't really do much good.
Washing a persons hands is in fact the #1 best thing in preventing infection.
(spelling?)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 10:48:32 am by ZOldDude »