Author Topic: how to extract the demo  (Read 11380 times)

jazznas

• Old Guard
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« on: January 04, 2004, 02:04:34 pm »
All credits for this goes to tintin, who has been kind enough to write everything down:

This is for informational purposes only. It is up to the user to decide if it is moral/legal to use this information,I take no resposibility in any way how you use this information, or if you screw up your system trying to follow it.

Well everyone has tried to find a program that would extract the cbf files. There were a few programs that did most of the job, but did not extract the important config files. After much searching and even writing a program that could extract most the files, it dawned on me. Pterodon was nice enough to package a cbf extractor for us. It just needed a bit of tweaking to do what is wanted.

If you notice when Pterodon puts out its games, like its demo it packages them as an installer + a cbf file. If you pay attention the cbf file called disk01.cbf contains the game executable, the dlls, and at least one other cbf file. All the setup.exe does is extract files from disk01.cbf and adds some reg entries.

For example when we run setup on the demo it creates the demo dir extracts the game dlls from disk01.cbf, extracts the vietcong.exe and also another build###.cbf that contains all the game info. When you later patch the game it replaces some dlls and the exe and adds some more cbf files in the game dir.

What people have wanted to do is to extract cbf files OTHER than the disk0#.cbf. Through studying how setup.exe works you can adapt it to extract ANY cbf file.

With a hex editor open the setup.exe in the demo. Keep searching for the work disk. EVentually you will see were it says disk....cbf

Right before this you will see 2 sets of %s%02d . What needs to be done is the first %s%02d needs to be replaced with nulls. That is replace each of those characters with hex 00. This will allow the setup program to extract every file from a cbf. The cbf has to still be renamed to disk01.cbf.

To extract any cbf, copy it to a blank drive in the root folder. copy your modified setup.exe and the original setup.cbf to the blank drive too. Now go to you windows temp dir and empty it of everything! This is important as the setup program will try and copy anything from the temp dir. One trick is to make a text file with some odd name and put it in the temp dir. This is because when you see the setup program copy this file, then you know it is time to kill the setup program.

Before you attempt this remember this will extract the files into the vietcong game directory. You may want to move your demo installation somewhere else. Also rename the reg keys. The install (setup.exe) program may ask you to uninstall the old install, let it do that all it does is remove anything in the vietcong default install folder (if you rename it, it does nothgin) and remove the regkey. Now with the newly moded setup.exe, setup.cbf and the build#.cbf file that was renamed to disk01.cbf that you moved to a empty drive start the install. Dont choose to install icons or gamespy! Just let the program run, it will list all the files being extracted, When you see it trying to copy that one file that you made and placed in the windows temp dir use the task manager to kill the setup exe. Do not press cancel as cancel will delete any extracted files.

[TKC]Wesker

• ArmA's Most Wanted
  • The Central Committee
  • Master Heckler
  • The Illusive Man
    • View Profile
    • TKC Tube
how to extract the demo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 07:25:11 am »
jesus
u make it quite confusing

i mean i did all untill i got to the part were u talk about putting things into drives  :?:
so i copy files to a seperate hard drive?
or dont u mean folder?

then all this mad stuff to do wid .cbf files
im far from a begginer at extracting, modifyin & replacin
but i just find this guide dfficult to follow

i dont mean to sound unappreciative
im very happy that u guys exist

all i wanna do is a friggin high jump to make peeps laugh
(looks funny wen u do it with a VC in shorts)

The Illusive Man

Ch?4t?r

• Poptart
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 10:23:53 pm »
Well I'm pretty n00by with this extracting so..I ask if somebody can send me the editted setup.exe??Because I cant find the %s%02d..%s%02d code :oops:  :? So hope at least one of you guys can send me the setup.exe :) thank you in advance

jazznas

• Old Guard
  • Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 05:14:22 am »
there should be a fixed setup.exe in the downloads section

Ch?4t?r

• Poptart
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 03:49:13 pm »
For the demo??

[TKC] ~<{LTC}>~

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 04:16:29 pm »
:roll:
southpark:
global warming is going to strike two days before the day after tomorrow

Ex

• Cheater Apprentice
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 08:37:36 am »
i didnt understand a fuck... :oops:

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
how to extract the demo
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 02:29:27 pm »
You will if you follow the manual step by step. 6 yrs olds have managed it, anyone can  :)
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

[TKC]thejoker

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 06:27:12 pm »
i find the tutorials real confusing also, i couldnt understand them

{tkc}Killer

• First Post
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 11:15:40 pm »
i got it

Flyin Hawaiian

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 06:10:02 pm »
If it makes you feel any better guys, i followed your tutorials and im an absolute noob when it comes to programming, but i was able to extract the demo and the retail version.  I just got one question to these guys that think its confusing the way that you guys wrote your tutorials, How the hell are you going to explain this in a easy way??  YOU CANT!!  THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IS TO SHUT UP AND DIVE IN, TRIAL AND ERROR!!
peace lol :shock:

hoax-ravenheckler

• Master Heckler
  • Still the same old
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 10:01:16 pm »
Your right about that, because they don't have the ability to read proper english its hard for them, and they don't take the time to really take a look at it, with any translation sites, or what so ever.
There's never time to do things right, but there's always time to do it over.

[TKC]thejoker

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 09:05:01 pm »
Quote from: Flyin Hawaiian
If it makes you feel any better guys, i followed your tutorials and im an absolute noob when it comes to programming, but i was able to extract the demo and the retail version.  I just got one question to these guys that think its confusing the way that you guys wrote your tutorials, How the hell are you going to explain this in a easy way??  YOU CANT!!  THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IS TO SHUT UP AND DIVE IN, TRIAL AND ERROR!!
peace lol :shock:

Trial and error is a completely different method from following a tutorial or a set of instructions.

Flyin Hawaiian

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 01:15:45 pm »
You really think so?  I find myself using trial and error every time I try to get a cheat working, or anything else on my computer working for that matter!!!  But ya the turorial was easy to follow, but these guys want the cheats to fall on there laps on a silver platter from you guys, they just want to download it and BLAM it works, well it dont happen like that, they should figure it out themselves instead of all tkc doing the work!!

[TKC]thejoker

• Master Heckler
    • View Profile
how to extract the demo
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 01:12:55 am »
Quote from: Flyin Hawaiian
they just want to download it and BLAM it works

Everyone wants to do that, I want it to be like that.