Author Topic: I can't understand "How to extract the demo"....  (Read 3006 times)

M. O.

• Administrator
  • MasstKer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tkc-community.net
I can't understand "How to extract the demo"....
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 11:27:15 pm »
Here's a tutorial from the old forum dev section:
Quote from: darkbyte/*AUS*Fate
Before you read this, I will just say that I claim absolutely no credit for figuring out how to extract the .cbf files. I read through tintin's tutorial on how to extract the demo .cbf files, then I applied what uplink said about extracting the retail files, and I wrote a tutorial on how to do it. Enjoy!

I am using UltraEdit v10.00 for my hex editing, and v1.30 of Vietcong.

Notes:
Do not bother with creating a file in your temp directory.
You can only extract one .cbf file at a time.
You do *not* need the file disk01.cbf.

If you are trying to extract every .cbf file, the order to do it in is (I think!) vietcong_eu_01.cbf, vietcong_eu_02.cbf, vietcong_eu_dub.cbf, vietcong_eu_gsp.cbf, vietcong_eu_xtl.cbf, vietcong_101.cbf, vietcong_120.cbf(May not be there), vietcong_130.cbf.

Make a new installation of Vietcong. To keep your old copy, first rename your old vietcong folder to something else (example: eoawjf). Then stick in the Vietcong CD#1, and click on 'uninstall' in the autorun. Uninstall the game, it will say its been uninstalled but it actually hasn't. Now you can run the autorun again, and install a new copy of Vietcong.

Patch your new install to v1.30.

Create a new folder off your drive (ie: C:\bleh, not C:\moo\bleh).

Copy the files setup.exe, setup.bin and setup.cbf to the new folder.

Browse to your new installation of Vietcong, and copy the .cbf file that you want extracted to the other folder.

Rename the cbf file to 'disk01.cbf'.

Open up the hex editor. Open up the setup.bin file. Goto Search > Find. In the dialog box that comes up, type in 'disk' into the first text box, and check the 'Find ASCII' box. Click 'Find Next'. Then hit F3 3 times, on the right it should have the word 'disk' highlighted. Before the word disk, there should be two sets of %s%02d (%s%02d..%s%02d.%s...disk...cbf.Arial). Make sure you have Read Only off (Search > Read Only). Find the first %s%02d on the right. Select the first % sign. Now on the left, there should be a '25' highlighted. Start replacing them with 00's. you should end up with '........%s%02d.%s...disk...cbf.Arial'. Save the file and close UltraEdit.

Browse to your Temp folder (Win2k/XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp (Local Settings folder might be hidden)). Empty your Temp folder of everything. This is not vital. When extracting the .cbf's, it copies everything from your Temp folder into your Vietcong folder, so it just stops your Vietcong folder from getting cluttered up.

Now you are ready to start extracting!

Browse to the folder you created earlier, and run 'setup.exe'. When you run setup.exe, it might only give you the options to 'Play' or 'Uninstall'. If this is the case, go back to step 1, to trick it into thinking you want to install a new copy (don't actually install it!). Click on 'Install', and go through the options, *deselecting* 'Install icons to desktop/start menu', and 'Install Gamespy'. The game will say it is ready to install. Click next. Immediately, it will give you quite a few weird errors like '~WMP.TMP'. Click cancel to them all. After about 5 of these, it will start to extract the .cbf file. After a while, it will give you a few more of the wierd errors. It will then stop extracting, and say 'The following error occured during installation:' (no error is given). Hit ctrl+alt+del, bring up the task manager, and end the program through that. Do NOT just click cancel, because it will delete all the extracted files.

And it's extracted! Browse to your Vietcong folder (wherever you chose to install to), and you have one fully extracted .cbf file  Repeat these steps for other .cbf files.

Enjoy  

It's for 1.30 and could clarify a few things.
Heckling is an art, and game hacking a science.

ZOldDude

• The Unknown Rank!
  • Administrator
  • MasstKer
  • Old School TKC
    • View Profile
    • Admin
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 01:00:48 am »
Quote from: neoison
Having a hacked image that could be cut and pasted would save alot of time with people trying to go through the steps and waste alot of your time.

No can do....copyrwright issues. :!:

*While we crash and burn, small, low tech, agrarian societies such as the Hmong in the mountains of Laos will continue on without so much as blinking an eye.*

neoison

• Poptart
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sandd.us
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 10:35:17 pm »
Quote from: ZOldDude

No copyrights with the demo... Its free... BTW cool to be chatting with hacking legends...  :twisted:

Jimmy

• Insane Joker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jimmyschot.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 12:23:21 am »
Quote from: neoison
Quote from: ZOldDude

No copyrights with the demo... Its free... BTW cool to be chatting with hacking legends...  :twisted:

free or not, its still coprwritten ;)

neoison

• Poptart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 12:45:13 am »
OK I am working on this extraction process of the demo... Its looking pretty easy.
Which hex editor is perfered to be used? I have UltraEdit32.
And also, What numbers need to be changed? edited? THX

Here is what I get when I open the setup.exe with UltraEdit32

[TKC]ASUSGT

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
[TKC]ASUSGT
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 04:52:48 am »
For me this way was good get total commender and the .CBF plugin for it .Then unpack Vietcong2-online-demo edit what hack u want and pack the files back it's that easy.... Link for .CBF plugin No Offsite Hosting/d.aspx?id=1ULC3SSAVZNYW32Y82YTO1I1G3

and link for total commender http://www.techspot.com/download301.html

neoison

• Poptart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 08:14:20 am »
ok, If I do it that way? How do I get the .CBF plugin to work? LOL

[TKC]ASUSGT

• Intentional Cheater
    • View Profile
[TKC]ASUSGT
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 02:34:33 am »
before u click on new type on the right top type in .wcx and then go on new type and click on the plug in that easy...